Current budget has me at 960M now, how will Pascal change that?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by One of the good guys, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One of the good guys

One of the good guys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, because of all the uncertainty I was not fully satisfied at first, then things got more clear that Pascal would be worth the wait. It might be different for you since it's your only computer, though. Waiting until August 15th sounds like a good idea, although the 19th is also rumored as an important day (like maybe when the non-disclosure agreement about the mobile GPUs ends). Hope your computer holds up until then. Do you have any sort of internet access in case you decide to wait 2 weeks but then the laptop dies on the 10th?

2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I should just slow down while using it and refrain from running photoshop and games (It lags a lot now, running heavy apps will cause it to overheat and BSOD after few minutes). I think I can help it survive for few weeks, but the problem here is, although the new mobile Pascal GPUs will be announced in, let's say August 20th, the laptops won't arrive nor sell here unless I wait for many months (Probably 3 or 4 months). Even if I wanted to settle it with this laptop and wait such period, it'll die on me while I'm working on it in school. It's really a shame buying a new laptop ASAP is a necessity for me. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to wait...

3. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    Yeah, if you need it that soon you probably should just buy one now. I have no idea how long after the announcements are made until we start to see them in production (that's a question for the experts, who don't seem to be noticing this thread at the moment). I hope it's not too long. According to what I've learned here, with a $1000-$1100 budget you should probably try to get a 970M though, it will be not be outdated as soon as the 960M will be. I personally am looking at 17" laptops, though, and have yet to see one for under $1k with a 970M. However, with a 15.6" you should find them in that range.

4. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention I live in a 3rd world country (Morocco) where gaming laptops are a LOT more expensive than the same models in the US. A budget of 1100$ here would only get me a laptop with a 960M (however fully equipped with RAM and SSD), or a laptop with the 970M (Minus 8GB of RAM and SSD). My first concern for the laptop would be having an SSD since day one, so I can't afford buying the 970M and suffering slow boot times. I don't mind the 960M though!

5. Sandman1804

Sandman1804 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You'll be okay with the 960m. You won't be able to play everything with max settinha though.

6. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    Yeah, my current gaming desires will most likely be just fine with a 960M, at least for the moment. That's the main issue, though: for now. I like to do higher settings, and I hope the laptop will last several years. A 960M will be fine now, but a couple years down the road I'm sure I'd regret not waiting for the similarly-priced Pascal (1050? 1040?).

On the other hand, if December comes around and the cheapest Pascal laptops are still $1200 or more even with sales/coupons (which I'm huge on), then I will probably regret not buying a 960M now.

7. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Black Friday sales are usually a good time to buy.

TomJGX likes this.
  8. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    Black Friday is certainly what I have in mind for a purchasing time. My brother-in-law says that the really good deals go very fast, though. On the other hand, that whole time is generally filled with sales/coupons; Black Friday is trending from becoming a single day to more of a season, at least online.

That's when I'm hoping to buy and I hope they are out by then.

9. Sandman1804

Sandman1804 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good deal. You can check out the link below if you want to get an idea of the FPS you can expect from a multitude of different GPUs on a large variety of games. The list of games go back to early 2000s if you look through the drop down box. Also, if you want to compare 2 or 3 GPUs, click the box next to each one and click restrict. Makes it easy.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

10. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    760m still plays games..heck so does 660m what's wrong with 960m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.