Current budget has me at 960M now, how will Pascal change that?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by One of the good guys, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One of the good guys

One of the good guys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

My 5-year-old laptop (specs in sig) died recently and I've been considering replacing it. I have a desktop so it's more of a want than a need, but I would like a new one; I just don't know when we'll replace it (hoping within the next few months, maybe take advantage of holiday sales).

That being said, my budget is about $800 give or take $100, but could maybe be talked into going up a little more (I don't know if I can get away with more than $1000). My understanding is that puts me at the GTX 960M being my best option. I had been looking at the HP Pavilion (17.3" version, as that's the size I want) because with coupons it is good specs for the price. However I was made aware of the new Pascal coming out and was advised that waiting might be better.

I want to preface this by saying that other than the little research I have done today/yesterday I have little knowledge/experience about the performance and price trends of GPUs, so please forgive my ignorance.

So my questions are: How do you think the release of the Pascal line would affect my GPU choices? Clearly a 1060M would be better than the 960M, but how will it compare in price? Will it be within my budget? Will it bring other currently more powerful out-of-budget cards like the 970M into my budget range? If I was hoping to buy a laptop by the end of this year or so would these card availability/prices have taken effect yet, or will I have to wait longer?

On a side note, I considered upgrading the i5 to i7 and FHD to UHD for about $150 more (with coupons). In your opinion is that worth it, or not really? I tend to play older games, but also like to play some new games as well, like Starcraft 2, Civ V, Heroes of the Storm, and Star Wars Battlefront. I consider myself a casual/moderate gamer.

Thanks.

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We're less than two weeks away from the announcement of mobile Pascal GPU's. You should just wait until mid-August. It'll be worth it.

Should be available for purchase by the end of August or early September.

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    We don't know, it may be a desktop 1060 instead of a 1060m (fairly likely) but that could drive the cost up. So no one can tell you yet.

4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    pascal will most likely not change anything for your budget, since the upcoming 1060 mobile is actually a 970M successor (thus prices will be accordingly higher than for a 960M successor). lower-tier pascal mobile gpus will take quite a while to be released, according to @Prema :)

i_pk_pjers_i and TomJGX like this.
  5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    So best option is to wait for 1060 to come out and get an older 970M laptop :D

i_pk_pjers_i and jaybee83 like this.
  6. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    That's the kind of thing I'm wanting to know. So you think the 1060M will drop the 970M into my price range?

7. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depends on how long you can wait, as any of the new cards won't be available before September (they'll just get announced in early-mid August). Eventually, sure, the price for 'outdated' tech comes down really quickly.

8. One of the good guys

Reputations:
    I don't know for sure when we're buying, but my current guess is going to be late Fall (like November/December-ish). Can we expect some price drops by then?

9. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    960m can be found anywhere from 700 to 1000dlrs machines. 970m can be found at 1kdlrs.

960m is very underpowered compared to any of the upper released models. A mid range pascal of the same TDP might offer a healthy 70% boost. Forget names because it may not be called 1060 at all for mobile.

you can probably expect something between 970m and 980m for the successor of 960m, provided nvidia is not overly greedy and releases an underpowered mobile variant.

10. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Christmas/new year is generally a good time to buy tech, as stores compete particularly heavily and often offer nice discounts during that time.

You could also buy a used notebook from someone who's upgrading to Pascal, I'm sure once the new gen is released many people will sell their "old" machines (that are still pretty new). Check out the NBR Marketplace sometimes. I bought a used K5000M there recently (as my 680M died), which will hopefully last until I upgrade myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.