CTS Labs Make Mountains Out of Molehills over Minor Secondary Vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by don_svetlio, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurgo

Kurgo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sounds exactly like what the PC market would need, less competition, so that Intel and nVidia can even forgo the vaselline in the future. Terrific.

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    https://www.crn.com/news/security/3...-cts-labs-claims-involving-amd-processors.htm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/84das9/cts_labs_be_like/
    https://wccftech.com/report-alleges-amd-ryzen-epyc-cpus-suffer-13-fatal-security-flaws/
    https://www.wired.com/story/amd-backdoor-cts-labs-backlash/
    https://www.securityweek.com/security-firm-under-fire-over-disclosure-amd-chip-flaws
    https://glennchan.wordpress.com/201...id-from-viceroy-cts-labs-ninewells-volume-ii/
    https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/03/14/much_amddo_about_nothing/

Claiming sent POC, but it seems no one has said they have received one. Even their white paper said they will not provide one either.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/242346/...a-research-package-with-proof-of-concept-code

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, the only way for it to matter as far as NVIDIA is concerned would be for AMD to release a high end GPU that is actually worth a damn that can overclock really well and match or beat the 1080 Ti. As of right now, AMD really does not have a respectable horse in the GPU race and NVIDIA is an army of one.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    This is borderline fake news - these exploits rely on either having elevated admin privileges or flashing a custom BIOS with malicious code in it. Not only that, in order to use half of these, you'd need a signed driver/firmware file from AMD themselves in order for any of this to have the slightest chance of actually executing. And once you're flashing malicious firmware or have physical access to the system/admin status then basically any system would be susceptible to attacks, be it AMD, Intel, ARM or Tegra. Hence why I've put Fake News in parentheses - because it's character assassination and fear-mongering - nothing more.

Vasudev, jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    Vasudev, hmscott and don_svetlio like this.
  6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    At this point, if CTS turns out to be a rejected asset flip game from steam I wouldn't be that surprised.

Vasudev and Kurgo like this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    We have hit a new low, for what ?
    The WallSt. powerful oligarchs.

First wave was that decade old flaw in Intel and the multi CPU affecting Spectre and now the AMD's Ryzen being targeted after Intel's share fell. Adding that damn Broadcom hostile takeover which has been a hell ride from Nov 2017 to Mar 2018, finally US govt realized how they are losing the game and stepped up against that to retain Qcomm and in that midst of chaos Intel's massive takeover rumor from WSJ setting an another wave.

I suspect Intel is behind this or someone indirectly related to Intel, from what I remember during the old times Intel sabotaged AMD by giving OEMs deals through backstage..Viceversa for the damn Meltdown - OPINION

Damn that Ngreedia GPP B$. WTH is going on ?!

O/T -
    News of the year !

Was worried that Broadcom/AVGO would instantly sell the crucial assets and sell off the patents and discard the licensing business by selling and finish that massive debt of $100+Bn. Glad that It had happened, US finally got hold of how CN is leading in the Semi industry, look at TSMC's recent projects and they build the A series chips, Nvidia chips on 12nm FFN and 3nm is in their pipeline while GoFlo (Arab corp owned) is bleeding due to EUV investment, Samsung's dominance over Intel (NA corp), only other player left for NA is WD+SanDisk and Toshiba's fab, along with Xilinx.

Also Intel's mulling over the Broalcomm was too dangerous. So is the new Chinese Huawei's dominance in tech communication sector. They followed Apple on blasting Qcom, because they had the leverage from MOFCOM for the NXP deal & Apple has $900Bn marketcap over these puny companies, Intel has $244Bn, Qcom+AVGO will have more than that. Also yesterday's Xi of CN's PRC voted for indefinite term for presidency that's far far like Mao's era. CN is a danger, the totalitarianism had to be put in check, with the 10% advantage of 5G essential Patents from Huawei (no IP infringement on CN grounds will ever be favorable for the rest of the world companies so no one challenges them, look how Apple bends to their will, the latest iCloud data was given to the CN's GCBD and the VPN ban. Tim Cook fleecing their customers) their dominance would have hindered one of the greatest American jewel of innovation. Apple is the highest beneficiary if this deal went through because Broadcom has strong ties with Apple and the IP business going down will allow them to buy massive tech and undermine the competition.

Centriq ARM processor division would have died immediately and instantly and for Android userbase the SoC's prized Adreno, X50 advancements, CAF would have been diluted. Similar to the Broadcom's & LSI's divisions being cut off I know that Qcom is involved in predatory practices but the Apple's one was far far more dangerous. Read about the Infineon deal and Wimax on the iPhone 2G with Qualcomm's forced STP involvement (the price that Apple should pay was clear than ever, because Qcom invented and paved way for the CDMA LTE that Verizon and Sprint use along with 18 Month lead in this sector, Intel XMM 8k series now started to begin thus Apple attacked Qcom, not new to Apple considering the poaching and abandonment of the Imagination Tech, GTAdvanced and Dialog Semi. Apple always sneaks off silently perhaps due to their sheer performance in stocks, that Berkshire Hathaway's Mr. Warren is now a BOD). Broadcom's M&A business model would instantly make a massive hole in the R&D role that Qualcomm plays and reaps benefits. After Broadcom and Brocade's loss this was going to be huge to AVGO.

Really glad that happened. Nov 2017 to March 2018. the bloody battle ends now, of course the toll was Mr. Paul Jacobs stepping down from his own company which is father Irwin Jacobs founded.

Reason I root for Qcomm despite the evildoings because after TI's OMAP left the field and Exynos shutted it's doors past SGS III there's no one in the Android SoC industry reaching to that mark, Qualcomm did unfair practices like killed the Nexus 5's SD800 Vulkan driver release and stopped it's advancement (Google's CTS mandates for Android v7) due to multitude of reasons. All of the CAF advancements would have been drained off, Exynos, Kirin don't stand a chance against the developer friendly Snapdragon platform.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Papusan, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's what I was thinking. Even without Boot guard tech on my BIOS, I wasn't able to flash modded BIOS. After flashing that, BIOS was instantly bricked.
    I suspect they used Manufacturing mode to test them.

don_svetlio likes this.
  9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    If they actually managed to get any of this working. So far, we have not heard of nor seen any functional code being showed.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    After what Intel had done in the past and now nvidia trying to repeat the same thing, I wouldn't be surprised if a ghost company was set up to pay/back this fake news.

Ashtrix, don_svetlio and Vasudev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.