1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

crysis stuttering

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by ARGH, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    just curious if others have experienced stuttering while showing a relatively smooth fps.

i would be at 32 fps and i notice stuttering straffing or moving or even panning with the mouse at 1920x1200. same for 1680x1050 and even in 1440x900, although it is a little less at these lower resolutions in sli.

haven't tried with sli off but no point in that it seems.

forgot to mention this is with all high settings in dx9.

2. The_Observer

The_Observer 9262 is the best:)

Reputations:
    What is the graphics drivers?

I could only play crysis at 1024x800 2xAA till last stage.

3. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    latest sager's drivers.

haven't tried other drivers yet. maybe i should. wanted to see what others experienced.

currently i am eyeing on playing it on 1440x900 to help calm the stuttering a little.

4. SKWeathers

SKWeathers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try opening up the console after it happens, and check for any error messages. This happens to me too, and its usually some random error. No idea how to fix it though :(.

5. bhattsan

bhattsan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you try reinstalling the game?

6. entropy31181

entropy31181 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I played crisis at 1680 x 1050 on all medium to high when i had 1 8800 card. there was no problem ever. Now I have SLI and the latest drivers on Sager's site and it stutters with same settings. sometimes the game freezes.

I have 64-bit vista

7. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what i mean by stuttering is that i can be moving forward, for example, and i can see the trees or any other object frame by frame like i was moving at 15 fps or so but the console says i am at 32 fps. it's kind of hard to describe. it is a very quick stutter, constantly. i noticed i don't get stuttering if my fps says 45 or higher. but realistically there should not be any visible stuttering at 30 fps or higher.

8. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nah it has nothing to do with the installation of the game or the amount of ram i have. i am not describing stuttering while the games reads the hard drives or anything load-related. it's just a stupid stutter that should not be happening. that or the game's fps meter is totally incorrect.

i also experienced fps nose-dives and recovery at one point of the tame where i was moving quickly to fight 2 tanks in the begining of the game.

9. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

Reputations:
    Bus latency due to excessive cache coherency transactions.

Might also have to do with the new I/O prioritization algorithms implemented in _Vista and, in particular, the ability to set super high or super low priorities on threads.

I won't bore everyone with a big essay right now (headache:( ), but I will link you to a 3-part article by Mark Russinovich, Inside_the_Windows_Vista_Kernel: Part 1, that discusses the optimization changes in _Vista, and in particular, provides registry keys where some of the parameters that control the new optimization algorithms can be found.

This may be of particular interest because it's entirely possible that the new prioritization system is not meshing properly with SLi GPUs (after all the CPU only thinks it's got one, not two), and that tinkering with some of the optimization parameters might improve performance.

10. bigjohnsonforever

bigjohnsonforever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In Short: XP better for Crysis.

11. bigjohnsonforever

bigjohnsonforever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Consider a duel-boot if you got the hd space...

12. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    If you`re not using XP, you should. I have rarely experienced stuttering,and my card is like 1/4 the power of your SLI.

13. _randies_

_randies_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    he's running xp.

diskeeper defrag helps with stuttering for me and I know what you are describing

14. abhi1309

abhi1309 Newbie

Reputations:
    ARGH, you are right, its that stupid stutter that is somewhat not related to the FPS. It just happens and it has become unbearable for me from the last two days. I have already stopped playing Crysis wondering how to make it work. It is not playable anymore.

Here is what I attempted till now:
    1. Reinstalled Nvidia forceware
    2. Updated Vista
    3. Disabled indexing for C: in volume > properties
    4. Defragmented the Hard Drive using standard windows utility
    5. In the process of downloading new WHQL certified MB drivers, once done - will post an update.

Intially I thought it was the heat, since it was almost 39 degC here last week, but then that is ruled out since it started happening immediately in the game and I even moved the PC under the air conditioner.

Then the disk defragment did not help. I dont know what will. Waiting for Crysis for 2 long years, got a beautiful upgrade and then this hellish experience :confused:

15. DFTrance

DFTrance Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here we go again, now with the M8800 GTX in SLi. That is exactly the same problem I have with my 8700M GTX in SLi.

Well ARGH is using XP, so all explanations that rely on Vista optimizations do not explain all the picture. Shyster in related thread of mine suggested the IRQ lattency might be the problem. I think that is were the problem is but haven't been able to solve it even by installing new drivers for RAID, Mouse, Camera etc etc etc. He mentioned a program that can be used both in Vista and XP to test DPCs.

I've found that this is a systemic problem of the d901c (don't know about others such as the DELL XPS M1730 in SLi).

Yes you get better FPS counts in SLi then in single card mode but you also get stuttering and micros stalls.

There goes all the amazing SLi scores in 1900x1200 down the toillet! In the end you have to play at lower resolutions to get the experience one expects from such an expensive machine, but you could do the same with a single card.

Try this, disable SLi and try to play the game at the resolution you need to play in SLi on order to minimize stuttering. I bet you get a smoother experience.

Hope you can solve this in your systems, becouse I could not in mine. Also, my complaints had no echo with Clevo & Co. They told me just to upgrade the cards, well I'm glad I did not still.

Trance
    PS: "It just happens and it has become unbearable for me from the last two days" - wait six months and then ... well I disabled SLi in mine.

16. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    You`re being to extreme, Trance.
    The game just bluntly sucks.
    I don`t think there is ANY OTHER GAME that would stutter and WUXGA except at super high details.

17. DFTrance

DFTrance Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm being extreme, let's see if that observation mantains the same in six months (I have mine over six months now). Wait t'ill new FPS blockbusters come to town such as FarCry 2, COD5 etc etc. There is were all the juice that an SLi setup is suppose to give is needed, that is the target of Crysis, not playing last years games.

I also ask guys to test the system with SLi disabled at same resolutions or one resolution down and see what you get.

Trance
    PS: By the way, traditionally Unreal Tournement is a light game for the current video cards, so it is hardely a good tool for performance measurement. Also strategy games that don't rely on real time, fast paced visual effects to greately help the player getting the job done are not good, that includes Command & Conquer, and so on.

18. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    Technology gets outdated very fast. Remember,today`s top mobile hardware is yesterday`s top desktop hardware and less.

19. DFTrance

DFTrance Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't understand why you are stating so many excuses to this problem?

We know that technology gets outdated really fast, but how fast it is a $3500 to $5000 laptop is supposed to get outdated (one month?).

Last years 8800 GT in SLi (the slowest 8800 video card now on the market for more then 6 months) on the desktop world can play Crysis at 1900x1200 at High with no problems at all and with similar if not worst FPS counts and 3DMark06 scores to the ones being posted about the d901c.

By the way, the d901c is supposed to be in entirely new league on mobile gaming performance when compared with the M570RU (like the one you own). It is a desktop replacement, unlike other Clevo notebooks, and people pay more for it becouse of that.

So if there is a solution for the stuttering in SLi for both M8700 GT and M8800 GTX it should be found, don't you think? By the way, the stuttering is visible at low FPS counts not high (when FPS counts drop and rise again etc etc) and not necessarly at very high res as ARGH posted.

Trance

20. abhi1309

abhi1309 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay I just installed nforce_winvista32_15.01_international.exe which I downloaded from nvidia.com. Stuttering is gone, I dont believe it. Gaming again, in that alien ship now, just lost gravity. It is super smooth.:)

It was just the drivers for me apparently, but now that it works, I recommend you all update.:D