Crysis - Best Single Player FPS ever?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Starscream, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ and ^^ what they said. You get pills every 3-4 hours as you said. You get attacks every 40ish minutes. Very annoying. If only they had made pills available as salvage, then I would play through again.

2. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    You get 4 pills every 4 hours. You hit a button when the screen turns yellow. Does it add anything to the game? Not really, but I didn't think it was annoying enough to stop playing. What WAS annoying was clearing out an outpost, driving out of sight, then driving back through the outpost a minute or two later and having to kill everyone again.

3. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ Oh yeah now that you mentioned it, I remember that as well. Would you prefer Far Cry original or Halo:CE?

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    To each their own. Crysis was fun for one playthrough for me, but played through Half-Life and Half-Life 2 twice, well never made it fully through Half-Life both times, lol. But did Half-Life 2 and all episodes twice so far. Very enjoyable. Been so long I might give it another playthrough. Really really really want Half-Life 3 though.

5. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    Probably the original Far Cry. If there were no Flood in Halo, it would probably get my vote. For me, Halo ceased to be interesting once the Flood showed up.

6. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    The source engine was state of the art when it was released. Crysis has a more modern graphics engine, but it's primarily better because it's newer technology. HL2 had better art design. The environments and setting are much more creative in HL2 than in Crysis.

As far as gunplay, I would also give it to HL2. The weapons are varied and interesting, and they all act very differently and cater towards creative use. The weapons in crysis are pretty much standard fare. The weapon handling in Crysis is pretty much exactly what you'd expect, and in HL2, anyone can see that they used their artistic license masterfully.

As far as replayability, you're almost certainly right. HL2 is an experience you go through probably once, though you might play some sections over again because they are epic.

Crysis is a sandbox, so the game is a little bit less structured. At the same time, I played through HL2 once through, and loved every minute of it, and I played some sections more than once.

When I played Crysis, I couldn't tolerate it to finish. That was my experience. And of course, we're free to have our own experiences, but I certainly got more game time / dollar out of HL2, and I'd also rate the quality of the time spent much higher with HL2.

7. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    Half life 1 and 2 with Bioshock1 right beneath them as the best FPS overall.

Crysis is somewhere in the middle. It's a graphics demo with a so-so story thrown around it.

Halo is FPS for pre-schoolers. Basically a movie you sometimes get to pick where you look. (auto-aim-auto-win-auto-everything)

8. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OP, you have a strange way of spelling Half-Life 2 and Halo.

Bioshock better than Halo? damn that's a lot of fail.

9. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    Halo was a GOOD FPS. It was not THAT GOOD. Shooting aliens with assault rifles against generic backdrop #928439 does not make a great game. It had virtually zero interesting mechanics or unique aspects.

10. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    Halo 1 didn't bring much that was brand new to the table, but it did take pretty much take all the good aspects of FPS games that had been made up to that point and put them in a single package with strong graphics for the time.

Subsequent Halo games were less interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.