Crucial M4 vs Samsung 830 128gbs

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by junkiejungwoo, Jul 25, 2012.

?

which one?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2012.
  1. crucial m4

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. samsung 830

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxpawnerzxx

xxpawnerzxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    voted for crucial because its dirt cheap as compared to samsung.

Edit: didnt see that you mentioned the 128gb version, well at least crucial is still cheaper >.>

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Between those two, buy based on price and call it a day. Depending on your location the price difference can go either way.

3. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Samsung 830 Series looks good. I somehow have some trust in Samsung because ThinkPad and VAIO business laptops used lots of Samsung SSDs and they were quite reliable. For the current 830 Series, the downside for laptops is perhaps the high power consumption and heat dissipation. Also the performance recovery looks less than perfect, if the SSD is stressed to equilibrium state. And 830 256GB beat M4 in performance.

And also I believe that makes the Samsung so reliable.

Every part inside the Samsung 830 is made by Samsung (from the NAND chips to the weird triple core controller). So, I believe they have a better control over the product quality and testing.

But Samsung supplies to OEMs. They have passed all stringent testing methods thrown at them. Reliability is what the PC manufacturers look at

4. ackyash

ackyash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Samsung 830 vs Crucial M4

I was facing the same dillema till a few days back as I needed to choose a SSD for my Vaio SVS13A to replace the 5400rpm Hitachi Travelstar.
    I do a lot of my purchases from Amazon and B&H Photo.
    So I looked and analyzed at the customer reviews on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk
    I did not find a single customer complaining about dead Samsung 830's or any major BSOD problem in them.
    The M4 is another story where there is a high number of people complaining about the M4 dying on them or major BSOD probs. Ok, one may say that normal reviewers don't know what they are talking about in these reviews, but IMHO it is a pretty clear indication.
    The 830 is a clear winner in my books, higher power consumption or not.

5. shrike4242

shrike4242 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Crucial m4 MSATA 256GB drive as my boot drive in my Envy 17 and a Samsung PM830 as my primary 2.5" HDD. Both have running great so far with everything I've thrown at them.

Peformance numbers as follows:

Crucial m4 MSATA:
    View attachment 81987

Samsung PM830:
    View attachment 81988

Price on both of them was about the same from the two places I ordered them from.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. Kryspie

Kryspie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ^^got an M4 @ Staples by pricing matching Amazon's $80 sale.

Did research before buying and found these 2, plus the Kingston Hyper 3K, were the brands to beat. But obv, the dirt cheapness of the M4 swayed me.

I would say the Samsumg 830 might be more noob-proof (no offense really, real n00bs get OCZ lol) because you dont have to tinker as much after you install it, with the M4, its reliable, but you want to turn off things like pagefile and hibernation immediately.

And like the guy said above, Samsung 830 comes with nice software to monitor your drive's health, update, and so on. Crucial m4 was pretty much bare bones.

8. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Same price, I would get a sammy, but they are hardly ever the same price :p

Not sure where you heard m4 "need" to turn off things, because SSDs are essentially the same.

9. Kryspie

Kryspie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Page file is shrunk and hibernate is disabled on my G73, it is the other tweaks that i consider heresay. Indexing is a useful feature even with a SSD (i don't think you can search the contents of a file if it is disabled), superfetch is still useful, especially if you got a good ol' HDD in there too. Intel's tuning utility doesn't mess with indexing for example. It wants me to disable superfetch, but i'm not going to do that either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.