1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Crucial M4 128GB vs 256GB Performance on P150EM SE

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by mortalcombat, Jun 1, 2012.

1. mortalcombat

mortalcombat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I already asked the question in the hardware forums but I did not get the response I wanted; they all talked about how much the PC can read/write. So this is a P150EM SE specific question

Both Crucial M4 128GB and 256GB have the same read speed but the 256 has a higher write speed. How much better would the performance be with a 256GB drive vs a 128GB?

2. icehot

icehot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Doubt u'd notice the difference at all, however the reason to go for the 256 is simply cos it's larger and if it's within your budget it means u can have more of your applications and games on a faster drive.

3. E.Blar

E.Blar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 256GB drive writes twice as fast, so if for some reason you were using hibernation on a SSD it would cut hibernation times in half. If you were transferring files over from another SSD over usb3, it would also halve your transfer time. Is that what you're looking for?

4. a4paper

a4paper Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That would be the noticeable differences between 128GB and 256GB M4 drives. However, if you have an SSD, you probably would not even need hibernation mode as simply turning your laptop off and then on again would take approximately the same amount of time as resuming from hibernation. I have disabled hibernation (it saves approximately 4GB in your SSD) and have not seen the need to enable it since boot times with the SSD is 15s max.

You probably will not write files from another SSD over USB, as SSDs do not have a very good price per storage space ratio, and most people get HDDs as back up drives. However, if you do need to copy files from another SSD, be it from another computer or a standalone external drive, having a 256GB M4 will save you a few minutes.

If it is within your budget, go ahead and get the 256GB M4; extra space is always useful. However, the everyday benefits of a 256GB drive over a 128GB drive (other than double the storage space) are not significant enough to justify purchasing the 256GB drive just for the additional write speeds.

Benchmakers will say otherwise though...

5. City.

City. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The main difference between the 128 and 256 is clearly the size, but whats important about the size is that when an SSD is nearly full it starts degrading in performance so thats something to think about.

6. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    mortalcombat and city,

Any links to articles regarding M4 write speeds or performance degredation when drive fills up?

7. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
  8. Tyranids

Tyranids Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What exactly is "nearly full?" I have the 128GB M4 and can never boot faster than 25 seconds. The drive only has about 55 gigs written on it, is this difference entirely because I'm using SATA II and not III?

9. mortalcombat

mortalcombat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I doubt that 55GB is considered full. But I'm pretty sure the 25 secs is due to SATA II since you're not using the full bandwidth

10. Tyranids

Tyranids Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank god. I was slightly worried actually. People post shots of even regular HDDs booting in around the same time I can, so I was wondering what was wrong.