Critique my upgrades

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Elminst, Jun 4, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Now that I do agree with! Considering how quickly every single announcement on releases has changed and what is in the pipeline, I'd definitely hold. Hell, my skylake desktop has devalued so much, I plan on taking a hit on the cpu and MB sale. The 980 Ti classy didn't drop too badly, so selling it on is less of a concern. But, I'd wait until we see the affects of HEDT wars in August.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Considering it looks like new tech is going to start coming out every 5-6 months anyway, that sounds like a stressful policy. :)

Papusan, Atma, Jarhead and 1 other person like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Still, 6 core mainstream is on its way. Buy 4 core chips now is like watching yesterday;)

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    On that we agree, though in this case I'm personally tempted to jump on the end of the mature 4 core tech and then sit back for a gen or so and see what shakes out in the early days of 6 core mainstream. If something totally wows me I'm willing to retract that of course.

DukeCLR and Papusan like this.
  5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Based on what evidence? 4 cores have yet to be full implemented and used so now sure where there are software that is fully using 4 cores to spend more on 6 cores when there isn't software to fully use a 6 cores CPU.

6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

My take go AMD Rz1800x for that price. Is here a reason your paying more when you can get similiar in Rz for less.
    I used my CoolerMaster 212 with upgraded holder and saved a bundle on it
    Get a Asrock X370 I am using one and have no problem so far with it plenty of Sata ports.
    I got EVGA 16gb DDR4-3000
    I get a Board that can take M.2 NVe SSD for main boot drive and 2.5 SSD for storage.
    I get a brand name PS 750W or higher for power stability and cooler running.
    I spend just around 850 for my AMD Rz 1500X build using still using my working hardware with a upgrade MSI GTX1060 Gaming 6G GPU. Installed Windows 10x64 Pro

My old build was iNtel i5-4690K
    Asrock motherboard and MSI 970OC
    Windows 7x64 Pro Sp1

7. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

If you're talking for just gaming, sure, but there are a lot of non-gaming reasons to want more cores. (Even with gaming, newer engines are utilizing extra cores already). Any workstation, especially for rendering or autocad type work will benefit from more cores and people are increasingly using home desktops for that sort of thing.

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Even Micro$oft advertising better support for 6/8 core for gaming with "Crematory Update 2" this fall. Of course, you shouldn't trust everything M$ say. But it's posted on the web and you find it if you don't trust me. As well Intel push normally 2 gen processors for same socket design. Ryzen is heavily in now with 8 core chips. I wouldn't buy a setup with older Intel socket LGA 1151 who is soon EOL. Aka you are screwed if you change your mind and later want 6 core or faster Cpu. It's a reason Intel push for 6 cores mainstream for first time and Ryzen is already there with 8 core processors. But that's me. I'm not forcing what other should buy. Good luck with whatever people buy.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    DukeCLR likes this.
  9. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Thought the next two mainstream chips were going to be the same socket 1151 but not compatible with existing chipsets/motherboards.

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, so called 1151 v2:eek: Of course with no "special" extra or must have features for coming Cpu. Only milking as usual:oops:

DukeCLR likes this.