Crisis Bios Recovery for 7805u (dead laptop) HELP!

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by ONE_J, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ONE_J

ONE_J Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi,

I messed up with the bios of my 9800m gts and did something that screwed up my laptop.

I pretty knowledgeable about crisis bios flashing casue I am a hardware/software modder, but I am serious trouble this time.

basically what I am trying to do is to reflash the bios of my 7805u with the crisis bios recovery utility.
    I found many around and have tried the most different combinations of files ect.

I know how to activate the bios recovery procedure on the 7805u by holding FN + ESC and power on, the pc reads the floppy just fine and I hear beeps as usual when the pc is about to flash the bios in crisis mode. once the pc read the bios file in the floppy it stops and for about 5 minutes keeps sending out random beeps, but no flash is being performed at all.

I power down the system after 20 minutes that has been on flashing and nothing I keep getting the same error code. 1 long been and two short ones. Which in the bios beep codes list shows up as “bad video” or “video error”.

I thought the most various and different scenarios.

1) the system bios is fine, in this case all my attempts to flashing the system did not success, therefore the bios is still intact. So basically I shouldn’t mess with the system bios.
    2) The problem could be the video bios (I am almost pretty certain about this), therefore the system powers on but it does not allow me to see anything. I cannot even blind flash because the keyboard does not accept input whatsoever and basically because the system does not boot at all. The only thing that recognizes is the crisis recovery mode (thank God for now).

for the second case I bought this device here: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4H.html

which is coming in today where I work. I’ve been expecting it for a week now.

My theory is that, by plugging in PCIE video card in it, the system might bootup and allow me to reflash the primary video card. This is the only reason I bought this device for. Basically out of desperation. ( I do not intend to send out the laptop to gateway unless I’ve tried them all, and honestly in the past I went through worse with modding hardware/software and this looks to me totally doable.

In the past I’ve had this same issue with desktop systems where I screw up the video card’ bios and am left with two options depending on the severity of the situation:

If it’s not two bad usually I can just blind flash the card by just putting in a bootable floppy diskette or cd and typing in the strings in the command prompt even though I cant’s see a thing. After that the recovery is 100% good.

If it was a more serious problem (like in this same exact case), the system does not even boot to windows/dos and does not accept keyboard input, therefore I need a secondary PCI/AGP/PCIE video card to put in the desktop then, everything works fine. I am suddenly able to enter dos and reflash the primary cad like normal.

In my actual case with the laptop, the fact that I cannot access a secondary video card cuts down almost all my possibilities, because I cannot type in anything. The system will not boot at all. The laptop powers on, gives the beep error code message then it just sits there.

The reason I bought this: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4H.html
    Is to maybe being able to simulate the same scenario I’ve had before in a desktop system.

But something tells me that maybe it’s the system bios that is screwed up. So I have been trying to reflash with no success.

My in success though comes from only one factor. That the bios for the p-7805u/7811fx is 2MB in size and obviously 2MB will never fit into a floppy disk, no matter how much you empty the floppy disk.

So I tried creating USB pen drives/ USB flash drives, but nothing it doesn’t really work this way.

So I found on the net a version of Crisis Bios Recovery that allows you to compress the bios down to 1.2MB, this way I am able to put in the flash recovery tools in the floppy disk as well and this is why so far the floppy disk seems a very reliable way to proceed.

I think though that maybe the whole compression of the bios is sort of screwing it up, casue after the floppy has finished reading the bios it just gives random beeps for 5 minutes but no flash is being performed.

I tried doing something, I put in a bios from another laptop that was only 1024MB and after reading the file, the fans on the CPU started going like crazy, indicating that a bios flash was being performed. Although I think that the flash must have been interrupted at some point because the fans kept going on for more than 10 minutes. So I powered down the system and then back to the same error code.

So then I tried creating a bootable CD with the same image for the floppy (but with the compressed bios for the 7805u) and it worked. The Crisis Recovery mode was able to read the CD and did the same procedure. The only problem is that again, the bios in the CD was the compressed one.

So I looked around on google and found a applications like UltraIso and MagicISO and many others, that allow me to edit the 144MB.img file where the boot sector for the floppy is stored.

If I burn the 144MB.img or 144MB.iso into a cd I am able to boot up in crisis bios recovery mode.

But whenever I edit the boot sector image file ( to insert the non compressed version of the bios which is 2MB) it screws it up and the cd does not boot in crisis recovery mode.

Can somebody out there PLEASE HELP me create an image file, *.iso *.img *.ima or whatever format I can burn into a cd therefore being able to reflash the bios in my system?

I hope I’ve given enough information although in a very scattered way. I apologize.

I found a way to drastically lower the temps of the 9800m gts by volt mod, but I was eager and wanted more, therefore I screwed up.

The last successful flash of the video bios allowed me to have temps no higher than 58 degrees celcius under full load in assassin’s creed for more than an hour. But again as I said I srewed up cause I wanted more.

I will post the files for anyone to try out (the good ones) to successfully flash the video card and lower the temps, but I first need to resuscitate mine. Please help.

Thank you

2. Syngensmyth

Syngensmyth In All Seriousness

Reputations:
    Try PM to johnksss. He dug himself out of hole with the 7811 BIOS. I think it was in this thread but there were so many threads in the beginning. It is easier to try PM.

3. ONE_J

Reputations:
    hi Syngensmyth,

thanks for your reply. I apologize for the brutality of the question but, how do I PM to someone? unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable on forumus posts.
    thanks,

4. banjo

banjo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Are you sure it's the Bios and not the CMOS? Try resetting your CMOS first. LYK how you make out if you are sucessful.

5. ONE_J

Reputations:
    I don't know if the CMOS has anything to do with it. but I'll try when I get home.

thanks

6. banjo

banjo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That would be your first step. Both have the same type of symptom's. If it is your bios, Check out MyDigitalLife forums. Their tool thred tells you how to make a bootable USB flash. They also have a "modded" bios for the 7811/7805u with a CRCDiskRecovery setup included. Http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthred.php?p=107145

If you can't find it I have the downloaded bios and instructions how to flash. Check it out, it may be of help. LMK how you make out.

But, first I would try the CMOS before anything else.LOL!

7. banjo

banjo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. banjo

banjo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    One more try!!! http:forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?p=107145&posted=1.

9. ONE_J

Reputations:
    I'll try that. thanks

though, the link doesn't work.

I received the PE4H adapter to connect an external PCIE video card to a laptop, and rushed home on my lunch break to try it out. no succes on this one. :(

maybe I need to create one of those USB bootalbe drivers for the PCIE card to be seen during POST, but at this point I doubt it has anything to do with this. it has to be the BIOS. I hope I can flash it with the modded bios you were talking about.

thanks for your help

10. ONE_J

Reputations:
    this one works

I'll try it out when I get home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.