Creeping black spot on LCD corner - it's getting worse :(

Discussion in 'Dell' started by bokchoy, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bokchoy

bokchoy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an Inspiron 630m past it's warranty and recently a black corner has appeared on the lower right corner of the LCD screen. When i feel it with my finger it's very hot to the touch

You can see i took it out of the bezel but i can't see any obvious damage or signs of it melting but I am worried it will be a fire hazard

I was looking on eBay for parts but since an LCD costs considerably more than an inverter, would this problem require a new inverter, LCD or both?

On startup:
    [​IMG]

After a few minutes:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any replies!

2. JoeNewberry

JoeNewberry Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is an extremely weird symptom. Your spot is crawling out of the corner every time you boot up, so I'd rule out a cluster of dead pixels. The screen still looks nice and bright, and the blackened corner looks like there just isn't anything there anymore, so I'd rule out a bad backlight, too. This seems like it may well be related to the inverter, since you describe the spot as hot and it grows over time. The inverter may be doing a poor job of regulating voltage to the LCD or worse may be getting ready to fail completely. My personal recommendation would be to try replacing the inverter first and keep your fingers crossed that its failing hasn't damaged other LCD components. If the inverter solves your problem, great. If not, you may need the new LCD as well.

3. bokchoy

bokchoy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. I bought an lcd and inverter since the inverter alone would have cost me $30+ w/ shipping, and we'll see when I get it in a week

Regards

4. Almightiness

Almightiness Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    what happens if you just lower the brightness a little. i would think it woudn't get as hot and would stop overheating the lcd, right?

6. Jarrod

Jarrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If heat is the problem, then try to clean the laptop, especially near the fan. Or run the processor at a lower setting when it's not needed.

7. Tantalus

Tantalus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The bottom right corner of my screen has a little dark spot too. It's barely noticeable and doesn't grow darker like that, but it's there... (Kind of like the first picture but slightly lighter.)

8. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    its a lcd issue. it has nothingto do with the heat from the laptop.. it will not go away trust me..

9. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's The Grudge!

Replacement time.. lol...

10. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    How much did the screen cost, and where did you order it from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.