Creative X-Fi MB for your G73 (Realtek HD 2.48)

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by TheMarkness, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMarkness

TheMarkness Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you as me have hated the problems and issues that the Audigy HD pack has given everyone not to mention the outdated and missing CMSS-3D/Crystalizer and newer EAX enhancements then this is the thread for you! As we all know Creative is always much more concerned with protecting intellectual rights and new patents then updating driver / software packages, it's been this way since the old SB Live 5.1 days.

This package download located below includes the modified Realtek HD 2.48 drivers by Alexa and the Asus Supreme X-Fi MB pack modified by SoloR.

These modded drivers will allow you to install any X-Fi MB package whether it's from Creative, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.

NOTE: For those that asked about using the Realtek Standard 2.52 drivers with this software package it will work (thanks premudriy) but you're sacrificing many of the advantages by not using the modified 2.48 drivers. These modified drivers enable support sound encryption, add EAPD control enhancements for some codecs, updated directsound acceleration engine, increased sound buffer limit, some hardware eax acceleration, increase channel mixing limit (can't remember the exact number of channels). Pretty much the modded 2.48 drivers are hybrid between a Realtek HD driver and modded X-Fi drivers with cfg/inf tweaks, some lib/dll changes. Alexa hasn't released an update since 2.48 so these are the latest and greatest "mod" drivers out. Also wanted to note not to confuse Alexa's drivers with Daniel_K or Ket's drivers, they are in a different league as far as "softmod" changes go with drivers.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: You do need the newest WinRAR (3.93) or 7 zip 9.16 beta (thanks IM0001).
    ADDITIONAL NOTE 2: These drivers/x-fi mb will work on any Realtek HD equipped laptop (g51/53, m15x/m17x, etc.) :)

INSTALLATION
    1) Remove the Creative Audigy HD pack from your computer, when prompted to restart do so then.
    2) Remove your current Realtek HD driver pack (version can vary), when prompted to restart do so then again.
    3) Download X-Fi MB R248 Win7.7z from provided link above. (MEGAUPLOAD mirror)
    4) Extract contents of "X-Fi MB R248 Win7.7z" to any folder on your computer (note location to browse to). *NOTE WinRAR 3.93 and 7zip 9.16 beta tested to extract*
    5) Install modded Realtek drivers from the "Realtek R248 Modded" folder onto your machine, after install complete reboot when prompted to restart your computer.
    6) Install X-Fi MB 1.1 software from the "Sound Blaster X-Fi MB AD1988B" folder upon reboot, after install completes (this ones a bit long) restart when prompted again.
    7) Upon computer booting up press F8 (fast here!) to launch the Windows 7 boot selector, select safe mode and continue to boot into Windows 7 in safe mode.
    8) Browse to the "License Generator Virus Alert" folder, !this is a false positive!, all this simply does is replace the DD_DTS activator and the accompanying codec files in that folder. Since this is a modified vanilla Creative X-Fi MB package it does not have pre-licensed files as you would get with a manufacturer licensed version (ASUS bundled, Gigabyte bundled, Alienware bundled, etc. as examples). The way the activator works can cause issues with Delphi based VM development software, if your not a Delphi developer then you can ignore the warning, if you don't know what Delphi is then you can defiantly ignore the warning :). Launch the RUN.BAT as administrator (ensure right clicking on the .bat file and select "run as administrator if your not sure).
    9) Once the .bat file is complete (flashes briefly) reboot your computer and let Windows boot normally (non safe mode).
    10) BASK IN THE GLORY OF X-FI MB!

Pretty easy I would say, the work is easily worth the sound quality increase (much crisper!) along with the new CMSS-3D/Crystalizer and other X-Fi specific features (and also the newer Alchemy and EAX profiles / codecs).

I'm at work currently so if my instructions aren't perfect I'm sorry just wanted to post this up after reading through all the woes of the Audigy HD pack and the glimmer of hope to have X-Fi MB. I can confirm that Steam, all my games (BC2, MW2, Mafia 2, FFXIV, Crysis, etc.) work without a hitch, MediaMonkey and other media players work great directsound and waveout.

[​IMG]
    X-Fi MB 1.1 w/ Realtek HD 2.48 Mod by shreddermiller, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    X-Fi 1.1 w/ Realtek HD 2.48 Mod by shreddermiller, on Flickr

yoshey791 likes this.
  2. IM0001

IM0001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome. Testing when I get home. Have no "Problems" with current setup but always am game to screw around with audio drivers. Yippiee!

3. Nekki

Nekki Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you using currently? Or you copy the instruction somewhere else?

4. IM0001

Reputations:
    What are you using to scan it? False Positive?

5. JoeWhee

JoeWhee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seriously? Or are you just fishing?

6. TheMarkness

Reputations:
    Nope I'm not just fishing. I have rep and been here awhile now. I am currently using these exact files and they work flawlessly with no issues. I'll update with some screen caps for those of you that aren't believers when I get home.

IM0001 let me know when you get these loaded up, share the excitement :D.

EDIT: Updated the original post to reflect information and updates to folder names installing from the zip.

7. IM0001

Reputations:
    Ya saw that Virus Warning in the folder lol. Figured its just a workaround that looks like a virus like most cracks/hacks.

8. IM0001

Reputations:
    Also might want to mention the .7z file you supplied cannot be extracted with the 4.65 version of 7zip but needs the 9.16 beta version.

9. TheMarkness

Reputations:
    Updated info and added some pics for you guys.

10. Nekki

Nekki Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    this is a way more advanced control panel than Audigy HD with tons a config tabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.