CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    I'm using 802.11ad for a wireless dock with 3x HDDs, quality sound card & stereo system, and occasionally a TV and/or other peripherals. For internet connectivity, I indeed use 802.11ac - and see no point in using 802.11ad for that. When I fancy a second monitor, I use my second convertible in stand mode for it, wirelessly via Windows connect feature - and it works great.
    The only wire I usually connect to my convertible is charging; I also occasionally connect headphones, and a cooling pad with integrated USB hub and (wireless) mouse connected to it when gaming, but that's it. I like my devices compact and neat, and don't own any desktops - while you don't seem to factor these traits in your buying decisions at all. The only device connected via ethernet in my home is RPi3 Nextcloud server.

Some people prefer sitting in one place when working at home - but I don't. The whole room is my workshop; I prefer standing in front of my working table (of appropriate height) when doing serious work which benefits from second monitor and/or additional hardware, while sitting in a comfy chair or sofa when doing more relaxed stuff, especially reading or drawing - both in portrait device orientation - or sometimes just walking across the room with the device in my hands. Wires simply take away my freedom, and waste my time for no good reason.

Before getting a WiGiG dock, every time I wanted to access my external HDDs or broadcast audio through stereo system with zero lag and best quality, I had to get to the table where the dock stands and put the convertible in (optionally connecting stereo system to the dock instead of BT4.0 receiver). WiGiG dock solved both those problems, with the added bonus of connecting TV wirelessly, again without any lag or image degradation; despite what official documents say about its range, I am able to use it across a large room without any problems, even with TV connected to it - unless someone or something is standing between convertible and docking station, or I am covering WiGiG antenna location with my hand while holding it in tablet mode.

The dock and parts for upgrading my machine ended up costing me exactly $100 after selling the replaced/unnecessary parts - thanks to very expensive shipping fee I paid for the docking station; would spend even less if I was in US. That's cheaper than buying any TB3, and most USB-C docks. If I won't be able to make WiGiG work with my next machine, I will have to invest in both a NAS and Bluetooth 5.0 hardware - the latter wasn't even available when I assembled my WiGiG setup - in hopes that the experience won't be much worse after paying noticeably more.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    See, I went with the NAS route. Just simpler for my usage. I sit down to use my devices at my workstation. I don't pace as much as I used to, but also do not have a need. Now I just need more HDDs for my NAS, but that is neither here nor there.

But, I am still not convinced that it is worth sticking with Intel. I've stated in other threads that Intel is about to hit a hard wall and other vendors will lap them for various reasons. They are bleeding cash in many areas and have reshaped how the departments look making it harder to see their losses and expenditures in recent years. Besides that, you have Broadcom and Qualcom working to accomplish the same (I say with an intel server NIC in two builds, which makes me, in a way, a hypocrite I suppose). But that is the thing, if you try to make it proprietary to lock people into other products made by you, you are literally trying to limit competition and acting as a monopoly. To me, there is nothing more disgusting. Apple acts similarly, but I hate them for more reasons than just that. LOL!

But, as I said, you are jumping the gun on your commitments without looking at what is over the horizon and the upcoming changes in tech. It is like those that push Intel Optane. Very little benefit for many, huge cost, and the more consumer based ones are so small that they are better used as cache drives. Meanwhile, when Samsung drops their equivalent that is cheaper and open to all platforms, who do you think will win? Not only that, since completing the work, Micron and Intel have dissolved their joint venture recently. So I'm really finding it hard to speak well on Intel with this breach.

We will see how it plays out, but I think I've laid my arguments out, here and elsewhere, as to why Intel is going to no longer have its magic. You may want to keep an eye open moving forward, though, as things can change drastically, including support.

Starlight5 and Raiderman like this.
  3. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    KY_BULLET, ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That speaks to, now that the OS is gimped due to the kernel exploit, what the slowdown is due to the horrible design flaw. It also makes Optane now a better value than it has ever been. Without this, Optane is very niche. We will have to see if the KPTI fix will have to remain after the flaw is addressed. I may need to send a request that he runs the impact on AMD. Could tell us the level of sandbagging M$ is doing to try to maintain intel value.

KY_BULLET and Raiderman like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Researcher Exploits Intel Remote Management Security In 30 Seconds But It’s Not What You Think-Hothardware.com

"To mitigate the chances of this exploit being used, F-Secure says that a strong password for AMT needs to be used or AMT should be disabled completely if possible."

Intel's response to the issue was to remind users to follow its guidelines for changing MEBx passwords and points fingers at system manufacturers for being lax, and not mitigating the potential attack. An Intel spokesperson responded to Ars Technica, writing:

We appreciate the security research community calling attention to the fact that some system manufacturers have not configured their systems to protect Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx). We issued guidance on best configuration practices in 2015 and updated it in November 2017, and we strongly urge OEMs to configure their systems to maximize security. Intel has no higher priority than our customers’ security, and we will continue to regularly update our guidance to system manufacturers to make sure they have the best information on how to secure their data.​

Ashtrix, Raiderman, KY_BULLET and 2 others like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's completely up to the Corporate IT staff deploying the AMT laptops to preset a strong password on BIOS access(es) - removing the default "admin" password set out of the box.

Intel and vendors can't ship the laptops with a "strong password" set out of the box, otherwise noone in the IT staff would be able to login and change it to their own password.

The laptop needs to ship with BIOS and AMT / MBEX passwords set to known defaults so the new owner can set their own strong passwords before giving it to their staff.

This isn't a security hole unless the IT staff doesn't do their job.

jclausius, Starlight5 and Raiderman like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They had to prime the pump to sell that. Maybe it was not ready to go until a couple of weeks ago, so they had to hold off on creating the perception of crisis and causing widespread panic. Timing and need are everything, especially when you have something new to sell.

Vasudev, ajc9988, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  8. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wonder what performance decrease Nvidia to get with updated drivers.
    Also:

Papusan, Vasudev and Shehary like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've not seen any performance decrease with the latest NVidia drivers, they're the same in 3DMark benchmarks & in game benchmarks that I have.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    390.65? Good to know, thanks.

Vasudev likes this.