CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Any word yet on the actual performance hit per generation/CPU? Sounds like they are very unsure of the actual effect given that I've seen 2%-30% thrown around. Makes me think it will affect different architectures differently at the very least.

hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  3. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  4. ajc9988

Reputations:
    It does to a degree, but it varies more by task, procedure calls, and need for kernel access.

This is why gaming isn't as affected as high performance computing.

Raiderman likes this.
  5. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...er-sicherheitsluecke-im-prozessor-design.html

Again more benchmarks with the latest Windows Insider Build 17063 that includes the KPTI patch. While there is some change, it's so small it's not even worth really the hype that has been thrown around. If this is their first hack at a fix and the change is this tiny then I'll take it. Given time and further refinements to the overhead I highly doubt there will be any measurable change after a few more patches.

Ashtrix, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

Makes sense, will be interesting to see when more benchmarks start rolling in.

7. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Yes, let us only look at the common consumer uses and benchmarks. Never mind that other, more intense uses that are seen with the HEDT and Server markets can be effected heavily.

What that shows is that, to the consumer market, Intel is not hit hard by this, generally, leaving their crown intact there. What it doesn't show is the market where the real money is, servers, and the fact they have a 99% (or had, haven't checked numbers recently) market share that may be hit significantly. So, what is being shown is that the average consumer has little to worry about. In that, I'll agree with what you have posted. But, I am not seeing your refutation on their commercial side.

Raiderman likes this.
  8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wish I knew the German language. I have not heard of these sites, and why isnt there any US based sites with benchmarks yet? Just curious as to how German sites are able to bench?

9. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Google translate..

Also I would standby as most people probably didn't know the fix was in the latest build as the bug is under embargo until tomorrow from what I've read. I would expect that we will be seeing a lot more benchmarks being released today and tomorrow.

Raiderman likes this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    That is a reputable German site and fairly accurate. So no reason to discount the information. They are using a publicly available windows insider ring deployment to test that has been confirmed as having the kernel fix in the build. So, the report there is on the up and up so long as the final build has similar effects on performance, which we have seen variance to the negative in public releases compared to beta builds before.

Raiderman and Talon like this.