CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    None of these backdoors are needed to stop crime - all they are doing is opening a vulnerability for you to be hacked and for your data to be taken by either governments or criminals (neither of which I would trust with it). The only way to stop serious crime, such as terrorism, is enforce the law properly, punish those who commit serious crimes, control who enters your country and to stop wasting police resources on stuff like "hate crimes" (thought crime) where they will spend all day looking at social media to threaten people with the wrong opinions (actually happens here in the UK). Stopping crime and terrorism has nothing to do with consumer electronics. If terrorists want to they can go completely offline and plan their attacks the old fashioned way, and if there is a vulnerability in a certain app or website they use they will just switch to another. The only reason these backdoors are added is to make people live in fear so they can be controlled by the government.

hmscott, Blossom81, Dr. AMK and 2 others like this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    Up to date, all AMD laptops came with E-key WLAN slot, meaning it lacks DP wiring by default; even if WiGiG would work, DP functionality wouldn't, effectively crippling it. And then, there are possible driver issues and the fact that nobody seem to have ever tried plugging a WiGiG-enabled card into an AMD machine.
    WiGiG comes in a form of WLAN adapter, not something on the motherboard. Ability to use this adapter, on the other hand, is primarily a matter of how exactly is m.2 WLAN slot wired on the motherboard, i.e. if it has second pcie lane, DP and so on wired to it, or not.
    802.11ay is set to provide 20-40Gbit/s bandwidth. Single PCIe 3.0 lane provides 8Gbit/s, upcoming PCIe 4.0 will provide 16Gbit/s. Bottom line, current-gen laptops are simply incapable of providing full bandwidth for 802.11ay adapter; also, it may well come in a different form-factor, or just soldered.

All the while I have a WiGiG dock now, use it every day, and expect to continue doing so after getting a new machine in a few months.
    Sure, I'll grab all those once they're out. But they are not available yet, so I'll have to make do with what is, until they are introduced.
    See above. We know nothing about 802.11ay adapter except the fact that WLAN slot of laptops based on current architectures is incapable of providing full bandwidth to it. And anyway, I have 802.11ad wireless docking now, and expect to use it now - until the very moment something better is introduced. Up to date, there was not a single AMD machine wired correctly to accept available Intel WiGiG adapters. You expect me to gamble (not like somebody will share schematics for the latest machine with an outsider) that Ryzen devices introduced on CES a week ago suddenly, out of the blue, have the correct wiring for something that is already discontinued by Intel, and never worked in AMD machines to begin with? Sorry, but I'll pass.
    Not a single modern notebook has WLAN whitelist. It was the thing of the past enforced by Lenovo, HP and a few other companies, thankfully it's gone. Only WWAN slots are whitelisted nowadays.
    There was an update to that news that most people here seem to completely missed. Regardless, there are a lot of places to buy a compatible card, cable and antenna - so I literally don't care if Intel supplies them anymore, or not, as long as OS&driver support are still there.

alexhawker, hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.
  4. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am confused a bit?? Are you basing your next cpu purchase on a wireless standard?

ajc9988 likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    @Raiderman yes. I've been waiting for such functionality for years, it is simply perfect for my particular use case - and I'm not going to give it up, even if it's labeled as discontinued.

hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.
  6. Carcozep

Carcozep Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's just really sad for my Alienware 14 machine :( [which was not even listed on Dells fix list when the Intel ME debacle hit the fan, even though it is vulnerable]

@hmscott: First off, thanks for the awesome work on informing everyone about the vulnerabilities. I do have one minor suggestion: Add in the 1st post the Security Advisories of each major OEM, if they have one. It's more easier for someone to find if their machine will be patched and when can they expect the firmware fix. So far I've managed to uncover these:

Lenovo Spectre and Meltdown Advisory

HP Spectre and Meltdown Advisory

HP Enterprise Spectre and Meltdown Advisory Spreadsheet

Gigabyte Spectre and Meltdown BIOS Updates

Dell Consumer Spectre and Meltdown Advisory

Dell Enterprise Spectre and Meltdown Advisory

7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    many things to point out
    - security breach? from whom?
    - chances of it happen to my pc, close to nil
    - speed slower than ryzen after patch? LOLLL. ryzen is that of ivybridge's IPC.
    - after i patch it, which i probably won't, my performance would go up, because optane SSD benefit more from patching under windows 10.

i'll be happy with z390 freeing up extra pcie lanes and come with BT+ wifi built in. extra pcie lanes for SSDs.

8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So you don't own a router that currently supports ad, but you are building a system around it when those routers have been out for a year or so and the new standards will be dropping this year or next, plus the limitations on line of sight and distance, meaning you've been using 802.11ac this whole time. I am really confused here. Here is an example of an ad router: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nigh...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01M12RE4A

Most MB bundle a wireless card that fits like you said in an m.2. Most people did not waste time with the standard, which is why it died. MB manufacturers didn't want to waste the resources to increase costs of their boards by sticking on an expensive niche adapter on it, mostly due to historic sales data for those that bought AMD, which was bucked last year and AMD will likely receive more attention on their new boards versus ports from intel designs like this last year.

Next, what is your point on complaining on PCIe throughput. You put it on a slot and that 8 or 16 throughput BEATS your ad throughput. I actually pull out the wifi on my boards as security risks and hard line behind a firewall for the LAN, so I couldn't care what my phone connects at (which is currently AC). If you plan on upgrading once available, and the availability is this year after the new CPUs, the new AMD cpus and MBs likely support it and you'll get better performance.

Also, you realize PCIe 4.0 boards drop this year, right? As with final standard on DDR5 this summer.

This year is not the year to upgrade anything anyways, nor to make buying decisions on such a small factor. 2019 you get Ryzen 7nm, Intel 10nm+, PCIe 4 at minimum and PCIe5 standard finalized early in the year. DDR5 will start filtering down to consumer high end from the server markets. You have 7nm graphics from both Nvidia and AMD. I could go on and on. My point is you should change your mindset. Hell, even 802.11ax should be out then. We are talking about worlds of change and this is the start. The next big jump in tech is when we move beyond 3nm or 2nm around 2025-28, depending on miniaturization in that time-frame and developments on graphene and optical processing. So, I just don't understand basing it on wigig when I teamport 4x1Gb ports and you have affordable 10Gb cards now. Either way, that is only going to effect your LAN, as you are still limited by your ISP! I have a 28-port switch for the house, 1GB standard. So I would have to expend lots more to update to 10Gb, and it only effects MY LAN. Not an expense needed at this point. It won't help gaming, just helps on wireless, which if you are talking a desktop, is senseless if you are able to hard line.

hmscott, Dennismungai and Raiderman like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is the frustrating thing about using Intel technology now, it's all tainted with these problems, and it's hard to justify supporting / buying the broken CPU's to get the rest of the eco-system.

But, I understand, long fought hard won battles - sunk investments - of dollar and mind - are hard to lose and let go so far down the road, this is all going to upset lots of people in the long run.

Hopefully others will pick up the slack for the wireless developments we need moving forward as Intel falters. The same for everything else.

Intel needs to focus on the re-architecture of their core CPU's, solve the problem at the source, stop investing in other flights of fantasy, Intel need's to release new CPU's, motherboard chipsets, and get right with the world again.

ajc9988, Raiderman and Starlight5 like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thank you for the links.

Many of the previous posts with links to commercial coverage have such lists in their articles, but it would be good to have the vendor update links here too, I'll add these you supplied to the 1st post - and hopefully others will post some too - and I will add them to the 1st post too. Thanks again. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Raiderman and ajc9988 like this.