CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Govt introduces amendment to Data Protection Bill to shield security researchers

The government has introduced an amendment to the Data Protection Bill which seeks to ensure that security researchers who test security protocols will not be treated at par with hackers with criminal motives.
    The new amendment to the Data Protection Bill will help security researchers conduct detailed security testing and assessments without fear of criminal prosecution or harassment by authorities.
    [​IMG]

ajc9988 and Vasudev like this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FBI chief bats for ‘exclusive’ encryption backdoor for authorities

The FBI Director has once again called for encryption backdoors to be created in mobile devices so that authorities can exclusively use them to access data stored on citizens' devices.
    Christopher Wray says encryption has weakened the FBI's ability to deal with cases involving terrorism, child exploitation, organised crime and trafficking.
    [​IMG]

Raiderman and Vasudev like this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    there will be 0 updates from me, and btw, i have amd stocks so this is good for me. you see being a "fanboy" means brainwash oneself and completely blind to everything else. its better to leave options open and know whats best for oneself, though its still hands down 4.9ghz CFL on 6 core is so fast im glad i made the purchase, made my work load so snappy that 1680v2 at 4.3 cant compare. going for an AMD purchase it would been the same as 1680v2 all over again, a waste of money. zen2 however might be a bit different.

just waiting for that optane.

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    I can tell you on 4.1 with the TR it is very snappy No complaints here except when W10 decides to slow things down. Good thing about the AMD stock as Intel's has been taking a beating.

5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    What we need to do is STOP SELLING OUR PATENTS TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR! The licensing off those patents could generate multitudes more for research funding and even flow over to general government funding. Instead, we sell the patents for pennies on the dollar for development, which then gives a private monopoly to a corporation. If we just create a licensing admin, and do free and fair licensing with the exceptions for National Security that are already on the books, we would be in a far better position!

Raiderman, Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    This is good news. Even people that stumble upon unlocked open channels for a corporations website because they failed to adequately maintain their security have been charged with hacking, even though they reported it to the company immediately and employed no hacking techniques to try to gain access. They just inadvertently stumbled on it. Instead of a thank you, they got charged with hacking and were being prosecuted for a long prison sentence, which is ABSURD!

This is like Clinton advocating for that. IT IS A BAD IDEA. If you build in a backdoor, you CANNOT EXCLUDE ACCESS. This is building in a vulnerability.

So, instead of taking the security updates, which bring down I/O performance when having to access certain things, you will go unsecure for the faster speeds? Especially when the final speed hits, depending on workload, bring Intel to the same or slower speed than AMD, but with AMD having slightly more security? I'm confused. Hell, after this, I wish I had sold my skylake rig and replaced it with the equivalent costing Ryzen 1700/X rig! Speed means nothing without security!

7. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, Dr. AMK, Raiderman and 4 others like this.
  8. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    My next machine will be Intel because there's a very high chance I'll manage to cram WiGiG inside it and make it work, while with AMD it's simply impossible.
    ^ This.

Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  9. ajc9988

Reputations:
    This makes NO SENSE! You can use WiGig with AMD. It is a matter of whether an 802.11ad comes WITH the motherboard. That has nothing to do with AMD vs Intel, but a production decision of the MB mfr. Not only that, 802.11ad is set to be replaced by 802.11ay this year with possible introduction of 802.11ax next year. You would still need to upgrade your router or access point to be able to utilize these new standards, which is even more cost. So, why do you say it isn't possible with AMD? Or are you talking notebooks with whitelists? And what makes you think AMD laptops WILL NOT adopt new adapters? I'm just not understanding the conclusion...

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Intel canceled WiGig...I posted about that a while ago, I thought you responded in that thread.

Intel cancels WiGig cards and 802.11ad docking parts
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-cancels-wigig-cards-and-802-11ad-docking-parts.html

There was a rumor Intel was going to pursue another high speed local area wireless tech instead, but I haven't seen anything since the announcement canceling the WiGig hardware, and program.