CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Though about referencing that but didn't know how well known it was generally. (Love that show)

You are being watched.

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    This is a tech forum and many question the motives of lettered agencies here. Just doing the math, you had a pretty good percentage that people here were fans! (and if not, now they know, go binge! It's on Netflix!)

KY_BULLET and Support.2@XOTIC PC like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Steam app itself needs to be reinstalled into a fresh C drive even if it was installed on the D drive, same issue with application DLL's and registry entries needed on the C drive, but the library of games import for me, but not all work 100% and those require deleting and reinstalling too.

Importing the Steam Library if installed on a non-C: drive is a nice exception, but a lot of people install Steam and the game Library on the C partition as default, and the Steam Library is also lost and needs reinstallation if you don't do an image back up of the C drive.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    ajc9988 likes this.
  4. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I put steam on C:, because if you are coming from a backup or installing fresh, why not apps on same drive. But my entire game library (1.4TB) is on another drive. Granted, I want a 2TB SSD, but it only slows down loading on an HDD, not gameplay.

alexhawker, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Researcher finds another security flaw in Intel management firmware
    Active Management Technology defaults allow anyone to take control of many PCs.
    https://arstechnica.com/information...r-security-flaw-in-intel-management-firmware/

"But the latest vulnerability—discovered in July of 2017 by F-Secure security consultant Harry Sintonen and revealed by the company today in a blog post—is more of a feature than a bug. Notebook and desktop PCs with Intel AMT can be compromised in moments by someone with physical access to the computer—even bypassing BIOS passwords, Trusted Platform Module personal identification numbers, and Bitlocker disk encryption passwords—by rebooting the computer, entering its BIOS boot menu, and selecting configuration for Intel’s Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx)."

This has been known for years. It's kind of like the more familiar BIOS management / administrator password. If someone can get access to your BIOS they can set all kinds of things and then lock you out of your own laptop, making it useless. Same for this, set it up when you get the laptop, most corporations will already set this up before it reaches the user.

You would want this under independent control, away from the normal BIOS settings, possibly administered by a different group.

It is a feature, and as with all BIOS passwords, you need to lock others out when you set it up, don't leave it at "null" defaults, or anyone can boot into it and mess it up. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Papusan, Vasudev and ajc9988 like this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think it has been shown that these patch(s)/fix(s) do not really affect gaming nor I imagine affect gaming benchmarking much if at all. I am talking about those out there that just a few days ago would trust nothing but the stead fastness, security and reliability of Intel for their workflows and would never recommend anything else.

Vasudev, hmscott and ajc9988 like this.
  7. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ya, and most of them would stand on soap boxes, and preach about it too! Obviously they have been cutting corners for years, as I am nearly 100 percent sure that they have known about these vulnerabilities. Gaming benchmarks mean nearly nothing to me, because to me they dont offer any real world, real use, statistics. I could care less if machine A has 2% better framerates than machine B. Its more important to me in how it handles real work loads.

hmscott, ajc9988 and TANWare like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    What worries me is the interactive glitches being reported turning into lockup's at or near 100% CPU load. That behavior makes this unusable, or at least really annoying for normal use. Most users are going to be upset by this kind of glitchy everyday use, even if the benchmarks show it's ok.

9. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Well, aside from bricking machines, the other reason the Spectre patches are not ready is that it adds 20-50% drop in performance, separate from the drop with Meltdown. That is why the retpoline implementation is being worked on for implementation into Ubuntu and other Linux build patches, as it is one of the lower impacts on performance than other proposed fixes, although some have suggested it still effects performance more than Google claimed.

But, if you wind up having 20% performance hit on a 5GHz processor, that is the same as a 4GHz processor, which is a huge hit in the nuts to consumers.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I install Steam to a large drive separate from the OS and have been doing that way for years. I use the same drive and one shared installation between W7 and W10. If I clean install the OS, all I have to do is launch Steam once and it repairs itself, updates the registry, etc. and it is ready to use. Uplay the same way. Origin is kind of a pain in the butt. Origin is hit or miss on finding and activating the games already installed, while Steam and Uplay do it all with no hassle.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018