CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Couldn't have come at a better time for them with Zen+ coming out in a few months.

ole!!! and ajc9988 like this.
  2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Until now AMD didn't utter a word on the CVE-2017-5715 a.k.a Branch Target Injection, same goes for Apple. But with Apple it was Intel CPUs so they will be hit with multiple slowdowns from the Meltdown a.k.a Rouge Data Cache Load (Which also affects ARM Cortex A-75 which will launch later) & 5715. Which everyone are waiting for the patch to appear.

Today Jan 12 AMD released their PR for the CVE 2017-5715. It doesn't even have anything like "Performance", where Intel tried to lessen the impact by giving false information on the minimal impact, normal browsing, etc crap and pushing a botched update. This is where Intel screwed it up as I mentioned in a post back a few pages, Haswell to be specific. Because this is the Spectre issue where Microcode update needs to be done, True for both Intel and AMD.

PCworld also says the same to wait for the news regarding the performance impact, If any.

Also believing that Near Zero Risk of exploitation statement from any of these Tech companies is laughable, considering this new/old PSP flaw same like Intel ME storm. Apple also said the same regarding the Spectre Risk, We all know how the social iCloud hack happened, And how M$'s SMB Flaw (leaked from NSA stash - Eternalblue) led to that WannaCry Cryptoransomware & Equifax ended up with the unpatched Apache Strut (+ third party malvertising later)

So it's like just waiting to happen, nothing is bulletproof when it comes to this as said by an NBR member

Nothing is changed for me on AMD or any giant, except it's worse now that learning about Intel and how the whole Industry kept this under a nice $$$ rug. 10+ year old issue came to light in 2018, after 6Months of being kept secret..what's next ?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    hmscott, Raiderman and Papusan like this.
  3. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If these updates significantly affect my existing CPU, Zen+ will be absolutely the top of my list for replacement chips.

hmscott, Raiderman, ajc9988 and 3 others like this.
  4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Discovering in another 10 years that we made Skynet in 2018 and it's been running the world the entire time instead of making terminators?

alexhawker, ole!!!, hmscott and 6 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    New Security Flaw Hits Intel, Laptops this time
    [​IMG]
    F-Secure has reported another serious flaw in Intel hardware, which could enable hackers to access corporate laptops. Standard password of Intels Management Engine BIOS Extension are rarely changed and can invoke business laptops vulnerable to unauthorized remote access, claims F-Secure.

"The issue potentially affects millions of laptops globally," said F-Secure consultant Harry Sintonen, who discovered the flaw. "It's of an almost shocking simplicity, but its destructive potential is unbelievable."

hmscott, steberg, Raiderman and 4 others like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Final nail on the coffin.
    Intel will need to re-design and re-structure/refactor their designs.

7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Near 0 risk means it has not happened yet that they know of. Not confidence inspiring. AMD closing the barn door before the horses get out is a good thing.

Edit; The die hard Intel fanboy's seem absent as of late, where are you guys now? Would love to hear about how great , reliable and trustworthy Intel is about now.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nobody is reliable in the technology realm. The big shots (OEMs and ODMs) are all losers of varying degrees. Intel is not reliable (their products are) and neither are NVIDIA or AMD. Neither is Micro$loth. We cannot trust any of them to do the right thing on anything.

Patch testing done now. I am more convinced than ever before the ludicrous amount of hype and drama surrounding is part of a scam with an ulterior motive of some kind. The performance differences are negligible for my purposes. I actually beat my own Fire Strike high score with the "performance reducing" fixes, LOL. Cinebench and wPrime have some kind of glitch after patching, with slightly reduced scores (just a few points and some strange stutter/lag thing).

Now that this chore is out of the way... back to what I prefer. Performance trumps security for me. I don't need the patches or the crappier newer versions of the Windoze OS X abortion.

upload_2018-1-12_13-28-47.png

Papusan, Vasudev, KY_BULLET and 2 others like this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Steam has the general files and rebuilds once it sees the library on the other drive. No work on your end for that. Still like the stable system backup otherwise...

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  10. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Did you ever see the show Person of Interest?

hmscott likes this.