CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yep, some stuff that comes with windows you just don't need. there are some pretty awesome 3rd party software out there and macrium is one of them (well they do charge a premium for their server+ software tho). i disable windows update and restore point asap, disable windows firewall, disable page file etc etc. i dont want window to decide for me, i'll learn it and decide for myself and my own usage scenario. if i deem its less relevant or something thats too difficult to learn or too much time to understand, i will take the risk and let them choose for me but i blame myself when things go wrong, a good mindset to have.

btw phoenix, did you see ces optane 120GB m.2 SSD module? one of this will replace our raid array of flash SSD and be blazing fast. too bad it's only x2 lane and word has it from anandtech a x4 will be out later this year, so we expect to see decent sequential performance with just 1 single m.2 module.

Phoenix likes this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    yes offcourse. I move my libraries (docs, pics, music, videos, downloads) to D: and only install apps on C:. My steam and origin library are also on D: so if I have to format, I have nothing to backup, just format C: and continue :rolleyes:

Mr. Fox, Vasudev, Raiderman and 2 others like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Current MSIBOOK's doesn't support Optane:D

Dr. AMK, Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I hope the next MSI refreshed GT series has an optan SSD for boot

Vasudev and ole!!! like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Installation of all the applications, after installing the OS + drivers + tuning, migration of settings for each application, updates for the applications after installation, OS updates for each application that has updates after the installation.

Hours and hours and hours, not to mention a major hit on your download cap for the month.

All passed by instantly in real time, if you have an image backup.

Zip, bing, bang, boot, zoom, you're done and ready to try it all over again. Free and easy, no delay's, you probably won't even have time to forget what you botched that required the image restore, avoiding a disastrous repeat of recent history... :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Raiderman, ajc9988 and Vasudev like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Time wasted recreating everything just the way you like is time you can't get back.

When you start paying attention to how much time you are losing every time you repeat the same boring re-installations and re-configuration, adding up all that time and it's a serious loss of useful life time.

The repetition of re-installation can be a calming zen like process, but there are so many other things I find much more fun. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yep that is what im hoping for as well, though im sure they'll have it, intel make lots of money with BGAs they'll for sure bring compatibility to it first. im not so much worried about optane not supported on MSI, rather I wish to see socket machine in their refreshed GT83VR line up, something like GT93VR?

eurocom mentioned they will refresh F5 with F7 when z390 comes out with 8 core intel CPU, so thats a 17" with socket CPU/GPU supports optane, from MSI, but honestly i'd rather have something like a 93VR support sockets while decent cooling plus 18".

well, officially, but in reality it will work. mobile equivalent of z170/270 PCIE m.2 slots should be capable of recognizing these just fine and treat them as regular SSD. in AHCI mode of course, or raid UEFI if people getting more than 1.

Vasudev and Phoenix like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Intel Acknowledges Higher Reboots Affecting "Haswell" and "Broadwell"
    PRESS RELEASE by btarunr Friday, January 12th 2018 11:24 Discuss (7 Comments)
    As Intel CEO Brian Krzanich emphasized in his Security-First Pledge, Intel is committed to transparency in reporting progress in handling the Google Project Zero exploits.

We have received reports from a few customers of higher system reboots after applying firmware updates. Specifically, these systems are running Intel Broadwell and Haswell CPUs for both client and data center. We are working quickly with these customers to understand, diagnose and address this reboot issue. If this requires a revised firmware update from Intel, we will distribute that update through the normal channels. We are also working directly with data center customers to discuss the issue.

End-users should continue to apply updates recommended by their system and operating system providers.

9. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Pay attention that this 10% perf. loss (20% responsiveness decrease in benchmark on Win10 according to Inte's tests) covers only 2 out of 3 exploits and will be stacked up with additional decrease after firmware update.
    While Ryzens will avoid this decrease fully or most of this decrease at least (according to AMD they are totally immune to one variant and near-zero immune to the 2nd which takes software update with negligent performance decrease).

10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Man, this is looking good for AMD right now.