CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL, you must be new here. We are good at trashing big corporations, like Intel, AMD, Microslop, etc. IMO, and this isnt bashing, Intels track record as of late has been anything, but good. Some of the sketchy things they have done in the past has given me a fairly dim view of them. From the CEO selling off all the stocks he could legally, to waiting until after the Christmas holiday to announce this, makes it stink more than the deposit I left in the bathroom this morning.

macmyc and Papusan like this.
  2. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not that new but i understood the spirit of this forum after a year and i do like the ranting but sometimes, like this one, it just makes it impossible to read a topic. Going easy on the rant and focusing on the technical parts of this new flaw would be better imho.

hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I still like Windows Gadgets and the only reason I don't use them is the selection is too small to be interesting.

"Security" is a gigantic money maker in tech world. Everyone hypes it to the max and plays on the fears of the paranoid and ignorant. This paranoia is one of the primary reasons Micro$loth has been able to find any Kool-Aid drinkers for Windows 10.

Sure, identity theft and fraud are serious problems, but there is no magic bullet and as long as there is money to be made being a crook or wearing the white hat to serve as the protector of the innocent (and stupid) there will be a perceived need for the security wheel to keep on churning as they pull the arm on the digit slot machine. It is the same principle as big pharmaceuticals in medical science. Nobody gets better, everyone needs the new drug to keep them from dying, and the real crooks are the guys wearing the white hats.

Yes they will. Absolutely. Along with "very serious" flaws from AMD, NVIDIA, Micro$loth and other vendors. Those flaws, fabricated or not, make lots of money by offering solutions and they all need them to keep the axles greased and the cash cow pooping out golden cow patties.

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    This delicate situation is worth it’s weight in Gold for Micro$haft. Push out working patches for WinCrap X, but make the performance noticeably worse if you run older Win 7. Maybe we will finally see fast increased market shares for Win X for first time in long time:D

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and Raiderman like this.
  5. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There was still as site somewhere, where you could get many gadgets. I will see if I can find it.

6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    hmscott and Raiderman like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, there is. They are all old and dated last time I checked. Nobody is developing new gadgets as far as I know. I used to love them.

Ashtrix and Raiderman like this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    My dad and I were discussing that last night and questioning if they would even patch the Win 7 kernel or not.

Papusan and Raiderman like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Have M$ any other choice?

10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Technically, the original Win 7 service period is over. They extended the long-term service branch. So, technically, security updates don't end until 2020 (see https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475079,00.asp). Funny enough, regular service updates end for Windows 8 on Jan. 9 of this year. So they will likely patch it, but only because of previous press statements, otherwise, if this was 2020, they would say **** off and upgrade.