]]>

CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Decreased performance?:D

Ashtrix and Raiderman like this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    I thought the bug fix is supposed to increase performance by doing tricks on the CPU :eek::rolleyes:

custom90gt likes this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    YOU DON'T GET IT. This exploit has been there for every iCORE processor, and possibly as early as the core duo. It dates back a decade to when AMD was competitive. If it shows to have effected the core duo, cut 30% off that, and AMD had the faster CPUs then. So your saying don't play fair means they left security open in order to win the performance battle, which cost AMD money to be able to compete while putting customers at risk! That isn't competition, that is crony capitalism! Anything for a dollar is why our planet has more plastic in the ocean than all forms of ocean life by mass. That is why we have superfund cleanups and corporations poisoning water supplies across the country. That is why we have billion dollar cleanup sites or land set aside as uninhabitable for centuries. There is a point at which competition IS BAD! This is one of them!

This may be an old issue, but it was found due to experts finding row hammer exploits and ways to manipulate the kernel access even with the randomized placement in ram. In other words, it is because published security papers dealing with it where it was a certainty have only been published in 2016 and 2017. But, due to the nature of it, it begs the question on how Intel did not know of the predictive branch executing before permissions. THAT, if shown at the end of the embargo to be true, is more egregious than you realize, putting banks, wall street, etc. in a position that their pants were down for a decade.

Now, another difference is a decade ago, people didn't understand security as well. A lot more do now, hence such the growth in that field for the past decade.

Also, do the math. If you show Skylake, with the fix, is 17-23% slower, even though it still beat AMD's offerings, and you find similar in Kaby and potentially coffee, then, if AMD delivers on 40% going to 7nm (https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/641/iedm-2017-globalfoundries-7nm-process-cobalt-euv/5/) and Intel's 10nm is **** (https://www.semiaccurate.com/2017/12/20/state-intels-10nm-process/ ; https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/07/26/the-price-of-intel-corporations-10-nanometer-failu.aspx; https://videocardz.com/74285/intels-latest-roadmap-shows-hedt-cascade-lake-x-coming-in-q4-2018 ; I can't find the one where the industry insider spoke of how bad it was atm) with this slowdown on top, Intel practically is handing the performance crown over next gen, in all likelihood. Maybe not on gaming, but on other areas that matter to servers and commercial clients, there is a chance.

So this should be viewed as a ship correction. It moves the industry back to where it should have been the entire time.

Raiderman likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Welcome to the circus.
    Oh, yeah... I do get it. And, you're too smart to be an AMD shill and play the "fair" card. People need to connect the dots. There is no such thing as "fair" in technology. We need to stop making excuses for the underdog.

I'm not losing any sleep over it. Just disable Windows Update (services.msc) to block any patch crap from being installed and continue on your merry way. I honestly don't give a rat's ass about the over-hyped security bug everyone is whining about. It has been present for years, but it wasn't until recently that anyone cared. There's got to be some kind of "special" story going on behind the scenes. Think about it... AMD was a do-nothing loser company for more than a decade. They show up with some amazing CPUs that finally give Intel a run for the money (but suck at overclocking), Intel responds immediately with better products, and now suddenly they are being ferociously ridiculed for pissing on AMD's parade. Once all the smoke has cleared, and everyone pulls their panties out of their butt-cracks it is going to be interesting to see what follows. There has to be a reason that a "security issue" that has been around for multiple generations was never a big deal until now. If you believe nobody knew about it until the last 60 days, I have some ocean beach property in Arizona that you might be interested in.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Ashtrix, Raiderman, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    This isn't about fair, it is the same as exposing your customers to toxic waste. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!! Here, drink from this free molecule arsenic laced cup! Unlike you, most of this world NEEDS security. No special story, it was the development of security experts that found the exploit and this being a derivative of kernel security research published last spring. That doesn't make it a "russian" ploy by AMD to sabotage Intel.

AMD's issue was a CEO that shelved good tech at the company and sat on its laurels, then became cash strapped in the ATI acquisition which hurt further R&D, etc. There is a logical explanation for AMD. This shows Intel never had that performance but for creating a permission elevation attack at the hardware level. And the real question is whether it can be traced to any serious security exploits over that period of time now that it was discovered. That means millions upon millions, if not billions, in security audits might need spent depending on the details of this exploit. And the fact you hint that Intel and others knew about it SHOWS Intel is about to get hit with MASSIVE lawsuits on the issue!

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    For a gaming only system I do not think security of the kernel is paramount. For a lot of other PC usage scenarios it becomes much more important. The issue has existed forever but it seems now it has become more of an issue.

That people all of a sudden care means there may be an issue out there. We will have to wait for the embargo to lift. It seems the issue was well known by all involved but just not previously taken as a serious problem.

As an example this was true of Windows 7 gadgets. Everything was fine until it was not. This has been seen over and over again. So this is to be expected.

7. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I swear this is becoming the funniest thread i have ever read on this forum.
    How about we all wait for the embargo to end before speaking, accusing and making "hate" statements based on the words of some journalists and random peeps on the web?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why wait? That is the purpose of these forums, is it not? To speculate, and discuss possible ramifications of hardware, software issues?
    I think it is fun to speculate, but is usually over blown in the end, or swept under the carpet as to not be over blown.

9. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The issues will be watered down and forgotten in same way as last two flaws from Intel. Be patient. Nothing has really changed. New flaws will come. And we are on it again:D

Ashtrix, KY_BULLET, TANWare and 2 others like this.
  10. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, discussing is completely fine to me but the content of last two pages is appaling. Most of what was written is random hate that was generated on the rumor that there will be a perfomance hit and that this was done to compete against another company. What's next? Will we get on "earth is flat" level? From what i read we're pretty close to that.

I just wish i could read more interestimg content and less ranting on intel or amd because someone woke up with a distorted view.