CPU utilisation

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by jack574, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    More works done for each clock cycle...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  2. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Win10's scheduler spreads a single core load across all cores, so you won't see it show 100% unless all cores are busy with something.

Windows 7 was the one that used a single core at 100%, while the rest could be idle. There was a patch that made it behave more like Windows 8/10.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you have a link to the patch?

4. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is quadro truly necessary for those programs? Most everything I use is with gtx and quadro arguably makes no difference, or what am I missing?

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you have nothing else going on on your laptop using network bandwidth, your working set must be accessed over Wifi? That throughput on the Wifi network monitor is the key.

That's your bottleneck right there, and freezing up while a large Wifi transfer is in process is a good indicator of the problem.

Try getting that working set on your computer locally, or get a external drive hooked up through the fastest USB 3.1 enclosure / drive / RAID you can put together.

You may have a rare case of actually needing NVME PCIE 3/4 to get the throughput you need to keep the CPU / GPU busy.

6. jack574

jack574 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, the wifi usage is just coincidental. It was probably syncing dropbox or something. Solidworks is installed locally on my C drive and my files are all on an internal SSD.

hmscott likes this.