CPU upgrade T5500 to T7200 on Toshiba U205 S5057

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by longbodie, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longbodie

longbodie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weird because when was in safe mode (with networking) I used firefox to browse around and download drivers w/o any problems (so it "does" compute right LOL).
    Only way to test whether or not that 1st T7200 is good is swap it in now but I dont want to do it LOL. (you all may know how PITA to change cpu on 6 years old laptop), good thing is it is now running faster than almost all of the ~$500 laptops nowadays (those with out SDD) =)

2. WARDOZER9

WARDOZER9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In all my years of OverClocking I've had CPU's with a plethora of odd issues due to a long life of maximum OC's or too much voltage that have damaged memory controllers, individual cores that needed disabled, required massive amounts of voltage just to post and so on. The T7200 probably wasn't OC'd but it may have been in a laptop where it was constantly overheating leading to the CPU becoming damaged.

3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That the one gain upgrading a older processor will boost performance and make a older computer more useful as well. I upgraded dv4, dv5, dv6 to t8100 and might go once more to t9300 just to improve the windows performance not to gaming performance but for everyday usage improvements. Plus it doesn't cost much to go buy used T9300 from eBay so it makes it a worth while investment since I plan to keep them for long time. That is the main reason to upgrade your processor long term investments. Plus I find it works really good for my laptops with processor upgrade to T8100 and having Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 works very good with the upgrade. So there are gains you get that isn't immediately seen.

4. jeffmd

jeffmd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Like ram when data goes through it just gives back bad data if only a small part of it is damaged. So you don't see anything until that register or part of the damaged cache is hit, or a part of the program that can't handle the bad data crashes. Back in the hay day, the P90 I think it was had a flaw in its design that would cause an algebraic error that would rarly pop up. It was fixed by new drivers that simply avoided the flawed part of the cpu.

5. jeffmd

Reputations:
    Actually, the t7200 is still end of life. Of best buys cheapest in store laptops, the Intel Celeron 2955U is about %30 faster, and the AMD E2-3800 is about %50 faster. In todays chips, the t7200 is that of the Intel Atom Z3740D. Laptops under $500 will have i5 and i3 chips which would trounce the t7200.

I did the same thing as you, I have a dell e1505 and updated the original duo in it with the t7200 in hopes of being able to ensure I could play most 1080p videos. It worked for the most part but it wasn't anything special. Youtubes 1080p was still out.

6. longbodie

longbodie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    no it will not play 1080p video LOL lag lag and lag, 720p is totally fine though. Also, (read my first post for what I upgraded) my point was that: b/c of the SSD's upgrading, old machine is now responding much quicker than I can say even faster than those modern laptops that equipped with normal 4200-5400 rpm HDD, the T7200 is only faster than previous T5500 cpu in this old system that's it =))

I may put the maybe-faulty t7200 back to test later and let see what happens :D

7. jeffmd

Reputations:
    Ahh yea, I was amazed at how my q6600 desktop gaming system improved with just the ssd upgrade (before I jumped to a new motherboard with a fx6300). SSDs are amazing, although I have been pretty happy with my new asus laptop. Disc speeds have been pretty snappy all around (I read that the hd used was one of the best performing platter based drives) and windows 8.1 ensures that bootup and resuming times are very quick. Which is good cause I need that 1tb of space for games and movies and can't be fighting with a smaller ssd drive. ^^

8. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My nc8430 with t7200 in combination with potcplayer and coreavc would disagree. It wont play all 1080p content smoothly but as long as file is under 6gb in size it will run withoutclagg.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

9. jeffmd

Reputations:
    I think we both were referring to what didn't play... like you tube videos. Also depending on the profile used, even straight 1080p was not stutter free (mpc/ffdshow), and most of my videos use styled subtitles which slow it even more. God forbid the video was 10bit. My x1400 helps a lot in situations but if the video is 10bit, it is all up to the cpu.

10. darkydark

darkydark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes thats why you use coreavc as it alows both cores to decode oposed to other codecs like ffdshow which are still sc.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.