CPU upgrade options?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey guys.

My partner has a Samsung NP-RV511-A0CUK laptop.

CPU-Z identifies the socket as: Socket 989 rPGA
    Chipset: Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge Rev 02
    Southbridge: HM55 Rev 05

Right now, the laptop has an Intel P6200 Cpu inside (Which has an integrated Intel GPU of course).

I have found the following website with the info on which cpu's could be compatible (based on P6200 socket requirements):
    CPU-Upgrade: Intel Pentium P6200 CPU

I was potentially interested in upgrading the cpu to the i5 520M if possible (it's extremely cheap to buy, but I'm confused by some of the sockets designations... i3/i5/i7 of the Arrandale generation all seem to be slated for 988 sockets... which is also known as G1... however, the Socket 989 rPGA is also classified as G1 socket.
    Some websites also say 988/989... so does this laptop have a weird socket or did they just obfuscate things intentionally?
    I think that if the above website is any indication, then all cpu's on that list should work (or at least

One last question.
    About the graphics part.. is the IGP on the 520M better than the one on P6200?

He doesn't really have huge processing requirements... he does basic work for the most part... this is more to keep the laptop somewhat futureproof (I will definitely install a 128 GB SSD into it - and maybe upgrade the RAM to 8GB - though he already has 4GB, so I doubt that doubling that right now is really necessary).

Anyway... thoughts and ideas would be welcome.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ark.intel is your best friend if you want reliable socket info. It looks like a first gen core i5 would do and according to ark.intel, they share the exact same socket. The chipset can also take that core i5 without any issues. I don't know about the IGP part, but Pentiums were bottom of the barrel and lack some features such as turbo boost, so I'd still spring for the core i5 in the end.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Futureproof is an illusive target. Both CPUs are already old, but since the present CPU is already meeting their needs, spending money on a new one seems like a waste. I say do the SSD, maybe the memory and call it day. At least with a SSD you can take it to your next machine.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, realistically, the processing requirements of Internet browsing for instance do change over time.
    Contents become more hardware demanding, and require better processing capabilities (though the trend is slowly shifting towards full GPU acceleration).

Future proofing is more along the lines of keeping this thing so-so up to date as much as possible - besides, the i5-520m cpu is mere £15... so it's hardly what I would call (less than affordable).

Going for 8GB for instance would be far more costlier in comparison (though realistically, at some point, the RAM requirements will increase).

Speaking of which... the i5-520m seems to support DDR3 800/1066 speeds.
    Is it possible to install 1333 and 1666MhZ versions into the laptop?
    I realize that higher speed RAM usually downclocks if the CPU or chipset don't support higher speeds (though some instances have laptops refusing to boot properly or work properly with faster RAM).
    The reason I'm asking is because some of these modules can be cheaper compared to 1066 (and 800MhZ doesn't seem to be cost effective even on e-bay).

5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you try to do this simple search....this is close as I was able to find....to be really sure what your socket type is you need to dissemble your laptop and look at the socket to find the socket type CPU-z is good but unless you verify the actual socket number no one can really be of help here.

Socket G1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Socket G1 / Socket rPGA988A

6. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The RAM will downclock, that being said, get the speed that is cheaper.

7. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only if the next machine isn't an Ultrabook...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.