1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

CPU upgrade on L702X

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by dave343, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmattd

madmattd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I read somewhere on here a few weeks back that someone took an XPS 17 (l702x) that came with a i7-2630QM (I think it was that one) and swapped it out for a 2920 (the extreme one) and it worked fine. Dell offers the 2630, 2720, and 2820 on the XPS line (at least on the 17), and apparently the 2920 works too. I'll try to find the post.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    2920XM shouldn't be a problem though it would run hot and the XPS 17 cooling system is quite poor. Dell traditionally have never restricted CPU's in the BIOS, in fact Dell typically has some of the most lenient BIOS options out there.

3. madmattd

madmattd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I couldn't find the post, but the guy that did it also did a repaste (well he kinda had to now didn't he...) and removed the fan intake screen, and in the end his temps were lower than most people get with the 2630. I'm tempted to pull my intake screen too as the thing has already gotten clogged decently after only 2 months of light use...but maybe I'll just shoot some canned air in there...

4. madmattd

madmattd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. regisphilbin

regisphilbin Newbie

Reputations:
    is it possible to upgrade an L702x with an i3-2310m (sandy bridge) with an i7-2630qm CPU?

6. madmattd

madmattd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would think so, they should be the same socket type. Though the HS+fan may not be up to the extra load, idk. I didn't know the i3 was offered on the XPS 17??? Thought it was only i5/i7.

7. seeker_moc

seeker_moc Spes mea in Deo est

Reputations:
    Not in the US, but lots of times Dell offers the systems to other countries with cheaper/lower powered options.

8. madmattd

madmattd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is true. That said, if they use the same HS/fan assembly with the i3 as with the i7, you should be able to do the swap fine.