1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

cpu temps

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by mad_sci, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad_sci

mad_sci Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, been searching the net for info regarding the critical temps of the processor and gfx card in my new laptop without much luck, and was wondering if anyone here could offer any insight.

cpu is a phenom II n660, gpu is mobility radeon 6650. Temps under load according to hwmonitor are: 75c (cpu) and 72c (gpu). This was after a couple hours of gaming, and running the crysis benchmark. Should i worry about cooling?

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What is your ambient room temperature? And notebook manufacturer did you buy it from? If it's HP, then I'm not surprised at all by those temperatures, they always did have a poor cooling system design.

3. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Those temps aren't bad at all. Actually they're quite good.

I consider anything under 90C fine.

4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    That's absolutely fine. I'm surprised by the fact that your GPU is cooler than your CPU, it's usually the other way around. Your GPU temps are even cooler than my repasted G73.

You only really need to worry when the CPU goes above 85C and the GPU above 90C.

5. bikerboy94

bikerboy94 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. mad_sci

mad_sci Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies. Just a little paranoid i guess, much less worried about it now

Manufacturer is acer, room temp is around 70*f (21*c)

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    If your ambient is 21, it is running on the hotter side, but nothing too worrisome. Acer typically has better cooling designs than HP...

8. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what a wrong statement that would be, LOL. When was the last time you touched a laptop GPU working at 90 deg C ?

what are you all talking about, anything in your laptop that heats up slightly above room temperature is NOT fine. It just shows how much improvement is needed in the laptop area

but to the OP: those CPU and GPU temps are acceptable. If you can, bring them down though ... as I did with my laptop - when maxed out on both CPU/GPU I get ~65 deg C top, and that's with over 50% overclock on the GPU. I would like them to top out at 30 deg C though ... ehhhhh some day

9. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Do you own a laptop, or any type of computer? I see a laptop in your sig, but I'm doubting. The GPU and CPU in every computer in the world go way over room temp. The outside of a laptop may stay cool, but the internal components always get hot.

10. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    <- el.engineer

also, I bet I've been around computers longer than yourself (no disrespect), I still remember my 8088 and what I did with it. Speaking about CPU/GPU temps of every computer in the wold is plain stupid.

I just said what a laptop temps should be, compared to what they are these days. Heat + electronics = not good

I was aiming mostly towards the comment about 90 deg C GPU temps as being fine .. where the max allowed is typically around 100

11. jakej

jakej Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well yeah, ideally I would have my laptop run at or below room temperature.

But the day you find a way to pack that much power into a confined space like a laptop AND have it cool the air around my desk, then I'll think you aren't insane.

12. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    ...do you live in a dream world? I've undervolted my processor to the point where IDLE is near ambient but on full load processors can be 4x the ambient, sometimes higher. And GPU can be nowhere near room temperature unless it is integrated.

13. mad_sci

mad_sci Newbie

Reputations:
    So whats a good formula to use? Should i subtract room temp from the temp of cpu/gpu and use that number to gauge if its running too hot?
    ex: 75-21=54. 54's a little hot, but nothing to worry about

14. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Unfortunately there is no formula. Each notebook has its own unique cooling system, and there are factors like ambient room temperature, each CPU has its range of voltages, and no 2 CPU are exactly alike.

For normal processors (not low voltage) you generally don't want to be 80+ C for prolonged periods. Also keep in mind this is influenced by your ambient (average should be like 65-70F so like 20-21C~).

If you view my Vostro 1500 repasting guide, my idle temps dropped like 1-2C with undervolting and repasting, and load dropped nearly 9C. But again each notebook has a different cooling system design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.