CPU Question

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Full-English, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Full-English

Full-English Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Been a very long time since I've been here, years in fact lol!!

Anyhow I have a CPU question and thought I'd visit this very useful place.

I have a very old Lenovo Thinkpad R500. Uses Core 2 Duo's and I want to have a tinker. At present it's my only machine but it works and I have no desire to spend a huge amount of money I don't have on a new machine so I will use this one for now until it dies lol, but need some advice.

As I am a bit of a (huge) geek I don't mind spending not too much on upgrading the CPU if it's worthwhile.

It's running linux mint and does OK, but gets a bit laggy. It's got 3gb RAM, and a P8400 cpu.

I've been looking at the T9600 or T9800 CPU upgrade, these CPU's nowadays are dirt cheap so really don't mind doing it, but I've seen some other socket P CPU's which are cheaper, they have all been pulled from apple machines but the codes are different so not sure if they would work on my old beast!! These are the CPU's in question:

E8335 - SLGEB
    E8435 - SLAQD
    E8235 - SLAQB

All socket P, 478, 6mb 1066MHZ.

Some of you may laugh and say whats the point, but I don't have the cash for a new up to date machine and with linux I can do what I need too, but if I can ramp the performance up a bit with very minimal expense maybe £20-£30 I will do it!

So does anyone know if these will work?

(Also gonna put a 4gb stick of RAm to 6gb so should fly soon lol)

Cheers

Full-English

2. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Before some people say "not worth it", "upgrade your damn machine" or something like that, let me give my $0.02.

As you know, those E8x35 processors are pulled from older Apple iMacs, while they generally work on other laptops using GM45/PM45 chipset, those with SLAxx S-spec numbers are C0 stepping with higher TDP (44W, 55W for E8435), and those with SLGxx are E0 stepping (35W, 45W for E8435). If you really wanna go the E8x35 way, be sure it is SLGxx. In the end your machine will run hotter, you may need to undervolt the CPU.

Alternatively you can go for normal T-series/P-series processors, T9600, T9800 is within your budget, P9700 if you prefer a cooler one.

Either way, such upgrade should give your R500 a good speed boost for not much money.

Full-English likes this.
  3. Full-English

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response much appreciated and good info cheers.

I think I'll stick with the T/P route. Got my eye on a T9600 and it could be a nice bargain

4. Full-English

Reputations:
    I've just upgraded the RAM so now got 6gb, 4gb stick cost me £12, hopefully if I get the T9600 CPU for what I think it will go for & some thermal paste I'm hoping it will all cost me no more than £20-£25 - Happy Days!!

Sent from my G using Tapatalk

OverTallman likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Depending on the socket revision... have you thought about seeing if your system can support say a Quad Core cpu?
    If it can, you need to also check if the system's cooling can withstand a higher TDP CPU... technically, it should also be possible to undervolt it on stock... reducing power consumption and heat generation... otherwise, stick with dual core.
    Considering that it's a 14" laptop, a quad core (even if its supported) wouldn't be recommended.
    Instead of T9600... why not go for P9600 or P9700? The P series are 25W... so they would run cooler, and you'd still be able to undervolt them.

Other than that, what about an SSD upgrade?
    You could remove the existing HDD and replace it with say 256GB or 512GB SSD (this would be the most expensive of upgrades, but worth it, considering the overall real time speed increase).
    The existing HDD you can either put into a CADDY drive and put it in place of the Optical drive (if you have one)... if you don't have the optical drive, then just keep the HDD and get an external casing for it and keep it as such).

Full-English likes this.
  6. Full-English

Reputations:
    I've gone for the T9600.. Managed to pick one up on ebay for £8 which hopefully will arrive soonish.

I did look at the P9700 as suggested but the price on EBAY was around 3x the T9600, so went for that one.

Thanks for the input.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You're welcome, but bear in mind that the T9600 is more power hungry than most cpu's in that category.
    Even with undervolting, your cooling assemply might not be able to cope with it (I had that problem) ... in which case, you might consider going with P9600 instead?
    A 200 MhZ difference is likely not going to hurt you a lot, but it will provide a much cooler system.

But as I said before... for actual speed and snappiness... you'd need to install an SSD.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Platforms/processors from the Core 2 Duo era feel like frozen molasses to me - and that is with an SSD, Win10 and the RAM maxed. :)

But for those prices; you should be seeing a good increase in usability and since it seems you have the skills to pull this off; well into the 'worth it' category (even for me).

Looking forward to a before/after comparison of your well aged platform (ThinkPAD's are great).