[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

90.1%
  2. i5-7300HQ

9.1%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

52.1%
  5. 1080p FHD

33.1%
  6. 56WHr

11.6%
  7. 97WHr

71.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. snowy89

snowy89 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!

I own a Precision M5510 (i7-6820HQ, Quadro M1000M, 16GB RAM, 4K IGZO).. Been using this laptop mainly as a mobile photo/video editing rig and has served me very very well.

Prior to this whole reading of this awesome thread and the input of everyone here.. my M5510 suffered a PCH failure (as prescribed by the laptop repairmen) so i took the liberty of ordering off a used motherboard and did the transplant on my own.. Powered on and it was heating badly... so i thought of replacing the thermal paste (as any first thermal related solution would be). yeah... hardened thermal paste before the work..

Here's what i've done so far on my revived M5510...
    <<Physical Mod>>
    - TG Conductonaut on CPU , TG Kyronaut on dGPU (im afraid of spilling LM on the small chiplets on the board..)
    - Lightly polished and cleaned off copper heatsink with metal polish abrasives(was badly tarnished till green..)
    - Kapton taped the opening between heatsink and fan.

<<Software Mod>>
    - CPU Core/ CPU Cache ... (AC -170mv, Batt -140mv)
    - iGPU ... -50mv
    - set nvidia max fps 60
    - EPP 64 on AC, 255 on batt

Never had much chance to test a video encoding and much... so i only used Unigine Heaven and ran it for a good 1hr for each ThrottleStop tweak..

Before:
    - CPU 99deg (throttling nonstop) GPU 90deg

After:
    - CPU 70max, gpu 75max...

As for games, thanks to the info of limiting max FPS to 60 (display is 60hz anyway...) most of my games dont hit both cpu/gpu at 60.. and i mainly play World of Warships.. L4D2.. just to kill time..

currently procuring all the cooling stuff that @iunlock has so painstakingly documented and further bring temps down...

I have a question to anyone's reading and have the answer for... i cant seem to activate the voltage curve for MSI AB (not sure if my GPU is not supported)

Also, i do read someone mentioning that the heating problem on the left side of the laptop whenever the charging cable is inserted... anyone has a ultimatum on that ..?

i apologize in advance if i may have missed out any of above said solutions to my questions....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How did you change the PCH?

3. snowy89

snowy89 Newbie

Reputations:
    haha i didnt.. bought a used motherboard from ebay for about 400usd..

ouch i know.. i love the display on this thing and getting a new laptop is so much more expensive haha.

pressing likes this.