[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

89.8%
  2. i5-7300HQ

9.3%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

52.5%
  5. 1080p FHD

32.2%
  6. 56WHr

11.9%
  7. 97WHr

71.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    > because of the capacitors that are taller and are in between the voltage regulator modules

I guess these are coils?

> smaller heatsink fins that I could install such that I don't short the capacitors on the motherboard

I assume their surface is not electrically conductive, you can check. But it is good to leave some space for airflow. Mind air for iunlock's VRM cooling should enter via the gap above the heatpipes, leave via the small central grille, and meanwhile go past the heatsinks and the copper foil.

You can use a file or sand paper to reduce the size of the heatsinks, if you think they are too big. It will be difficult to find something smaller. AFAIK small copper heatsinks for mosfets with nail-like fins exist, but you'd have to trim those too.

2. lkyaugustine

lkyaugustine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    mmmm, the huge silver coloured ones are the chokes,

I am not referring to the chokes, but I will take a picture for you tomorrow. Sorry for replying late, had been really busy.

3. lkyaugustine

Reputations:
  4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep these surely have metal contacts one shouldn't short to sth.
    As said you can cut the heatsinks to size. And you must be extra careful to fix them properly, so they don't cause a short upon impact. But using insulation also reduces heat flow.

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't let anything metal near those capacitators. Give some clearance. If metal heatsinks come loose, there are plenty of places to short out.

There are adhesives for metal heatsinks but they will likely void your warranty, unless you can remove the DIY mods leaving zero trace.

6. lkyaugustine

Reputations:
    I was just thinking about putting a thin layer of "thermal tape" under the heatsink, i tried that but to no avail, suffered heavy throttling.

Edit: if you do notice, the GPU VRMs are blocked by the tall R22 chokes. and the CPU ones are also being blocked. :/ maybe that's why I was suffering from heavy throttling.

What can I do to resolve throttling? hmmmm

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  7. lkyaugustine

Reputations:
    Also, I realise that once the laptop enters Power Limit Throttling, 0.8GHz CPU speed will be engaged, VRMs cool to 64 celsius and cannot get out of Power Limit Throttling, it will just lag forever.

8. djkanoko

djkanoko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone else's 9560 get really hot near the headphone jack when charging a low battery? If I do a full charge cycle when the battery is low 20-40% the area just below the headphone jack will slowly heat up to 81C for a few minutes and then cool back down to 50C. I suspect I need to add some thermal modifications to one of the components in this area:

[​IMG]

Perhaps I could take a piece of the copper tape I'm not using with a heat sink and thermal tape spread the heat out over the area.

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes there seems to be a charging circuit there. I recall there was a thermal image, maybe in that 9560 thermal insanity thread. There were a few reports of excessive heat, maybe after battery replacement. Someone mentioned padding to the backplate. You could also consider thermally mating it with the fan housing.

10. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't cover the entire mosfets with thermal pads but I did recognize they needed padded.... Guess I did a half job?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019