]]>

[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

89.8%
  2. i5-7300HQ

9.1%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

56.8%
  5. 1080p FHD

34.1%
  6. 56WHr

11.4%
  7. 97WHr

77.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Once you get thermals sorted, these will PL throttle so that is a limit that is tough to beat as the vrm is not particularly robust.

Search my posts for how to trick package power limitis short & long and the turbo time limit. You can damage your system so use caution.

Also, Kryonaut should perform a bit better than AS5; did you check the evenness and thinness of your paste with Kryonaut and repaste? Was your heatsink bent? Based on your temps now, I would just leave things as they are as your system runs pretty cool. You can see benchmarks posted here by other users to compare.

2. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks! I've been reading this thread for a while, i'll have to go back and check. The evenness and thinness of the paste looked pretty good (i tried both the pea sized dot and spreading with the scraper tool with similar results), i thought my original heatsink was bent so I received a new heatsink from Dell and had the same result. When i reapplied the AS5 I spread it with my finger through a clear bag (old school i know lol) and that seemed to get the lowest temps yet.

I'm going to download Dell Power Management and apply Ultra Performance to see if it differs. I have my nvidia settings on Max Performance under power management and max prerendered frames at 2 with the latest Nvidia drivers - also using latest Dell bios. Also tried high performance under window's power settings vs balanced with regular voltage and undervolting without any significant change.

pressing likes this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you are in the business of boosting performance, you should enable the slick Intel SpeedShift. Setting EPP=0 for max performance, say EPP=78 for medium performance but allowing max turbo (you need to try some settings around there to find highest setting that allows max turbo clocks - 128 is not it), EPP=255 for max energy savings (and maybe cooler running)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

Trader05 likes this.
  4. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's not so much 'performance' as it is snappyness though. EPP 140 still allows for max turbo boost for me, and in the end, the max clock speeds is what determines the raw performance of your processor. Lower EPP settings just increases how snappy your systeem feels as it is constantly at higher clock speeds. That said, the differences between EPP settings are very, very minimal.

I only use it to force my CPU to stay at lower clock speeds when on battery (EPP 220), as I am mostly idling then and the constant spikes in CPU speeds drain your battery. I use 140 for every day use, as it allows max turbo speeds, but otherwise when doing mundane tasks, it usually jumps between 900MHz and 1.4GHz. I personally do not notice any difference in snappyness between 140 and 0. I just notice higher temperatures due to the constantly high CPU speeds.

SpeedShift is very, very subjective.

pressing likes this.
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good points @MrBuzzkill . SpeedShift definitely is not for everyone and its usefulness depends on one's usage scenarios, software, etc.

For example, low-latency processes, like playing live music with large, CPU intensive virtual instruments, SpeedShift can be an excellent tool for laptops.

These virtual instruments require the fastest CPU clocks and lowest latency, which might best perform by disabling c-states and these SpeedStep /SpeedShift schemes. However, most laptops will disable CPU turbo clocks when c-states are disabled to prevent thermal issues; not ideal for minimum latency. So SpeedShift with EPP=0 allows my system to hit max turbo speeds with lower latency.

Also, SpeedShift EPP allows for quick adjustment of power consumption so might help mobile users. Interestingly, the creator of ThrottleStop said power consumption may be reduced by rapid CPU clocks, which can quickly return to low sleep states (e.g. C7); he also said the Windows Balanced Power Profile may be excellent for some mobile users.

So I still think SpeedShift is an excellent tool that is worth exploring. Inevitably some users will find it more useful.

MrBuzzkill likes this.
  6. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I went back through the thread and realized the high benchmarks are through overclocking the gpu, not just doing undervolting and iunlock's copper sheet / thermal pad mod.

Soooo I applied Ultra performance through Dell's PM and overclocked my gpu and memory based on Wanamees' post (i have my memory at +225):
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...5-9560-kaby-lake.802345/page-28#post-10619750

The results are below ;)

Thank you to
    @iunlock, @pressing, @wanamees and everyone else contributing to this thread. Much appreciated.

Side note: I passed on doing Speedshift for 2 reasons: 1) I did the bios hack a while ago and temps were idling way higher than normal. --After thought it's possibly from not configuring it correctly through TS. 2) My friend's Eluktronics's gaming laptop has it off by default also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    pressing likes this.
  7. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Funny thing. The thing that ultimately helped with my battery life was switching to edge from chrome, both with ublock origin installed edge gave me around 7.5~ hours of browsing, while chrome would burn out at around 5~.

pressing likes this.
  8. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dangggg. I had no idea memory prices went up that much from a year ago... I thought 16gb for $90 was bad...now it's $220....the heck? I'm maxing out my virtual memory with ksp...99% usage and then the game crashes. Ouch!

9. tachlio

tachlio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Recently the PL1 throttle really bother me after 1-2 hour playing shadow of war on medium setting.
    This is happen include done undervolt , repaste and some simple thermal pad added to VRM.

Last week, saw the undervolt for GCU, its interesting to try. and result is NO throttling at all !! (ambient temp also found much lower that before)
    Mind to share you min core volt vs freq profile?

Lastly, its still cant pass Asus Realbench which throttle after 7min,but as long as my gaming is fine. I will leave it like now before try @iunlock method.

10. adobepro

adobepro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm based on the layout of the 9560, it's similar to the 9550? I'd like to try this out as much as I can on a used/scratch-n-dent 9550 Outlet laptop coming in.