]]>

[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

89.8%
  2. i5-7300HQ

9.1%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

56.8%
  5. 1080p FHD

34.1%
  6. 56WHr

11.4%
  7. 97WHr

77.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response!

My idea of lapping is more or less doing a slow, even figure 8 on some fine grit sandpaper, similar to the old school ways of freshening up a 2-stroke jug head. ;) I know not to really gouge or scratch the surfaces with anything too coarse, I am talking more along the lines of dull scotchbrite finished sheen vs dremel polishing compound / mirror finished surfaces.

The nail polish idea you mentioned is clever. I have seen others suggest leaving kapton tape on after the masking process for just-in-case insurance. I also like the foam barrier concept that could easily be implemented with thermal pad material or thermal putty and at worst case scenario, give you the equivalent thermal conductivity of a decent non-conductive grease.

Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions. I am going to start a new Dell forum post for the 7577 that is more technically and scientifically oriented to contain detailed teardown info and hardware mods/upgrades/insight since there isn't much to be found online right now. I have been waiting patiently to get my 7577 back from Dell since I shipped it out on 11/17/17 to have them replace the keyboard with a faulty semi-colon key. (-_-)

pressing likes this.
  2. htrex

htrex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One trick for the silence: I've added a stack of thermal pads internally to connect the PCH Chip to the aluminum case bottom.

The PCH chip never becomes too hot, it's rated with a TDP of just 2,6W from Intel, but on the XPS 15 it's cooling is completely passive, it has no fins and no forced air cooling so it tends to accumulate that few heat and it's normal operating base temp was around 45°.

Observing temps I understood that it's temp was the culprit triggering the fans to spin at the minimum speed all the time.
    On the XPS 15 the fans cool down only the CPU and GPU but even when they were running below 40° the fans never stopped: silly Dell, the fans have no effect on the PCH and they were spinning for nothing!

Connecting the PCH with thermal pads to the case bottom transfers some heat away and now it's normal operating base temp is around 35°.
    I'm using Ubuntu as my primary OS, on idle it runs cooler than Windows and padding the PCH is enough to have the fans off most of the time even with light loads.

pressing and Maleko48 like this.
  3. TheMalWare

TheMalWare Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I've been having some problems with my 9560 for a while. It seems the performance in games and in general I think has dropped quite a bit, from Battlefield to PUBG. I checked the SSD health with CrystalDiskInfo and all seemed fine, but when I ran Time Spy and Firestrike in 3DMark I think the laptop underperformed. I am looking to improve thermals with repasting and thermal pads, but could I maybe have failing hardware, or is it just thermal throttling? Here are the benchmark results: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23759034 https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23759354

4. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Run them again and screenshot your Afterburner graphs and it should be obvious if it's throttling or what else is going on.

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can read this thread for some popular benchmarks and then see how your system performs. . .then go from there.

6. TheMalWare

TheMalWare Newbie

Reputations:
    Maleko48 likes this.
  7. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Hmmm... that is debatable... Your temps are definitely under MAX allowed values for your CPU/GPU by their manufacturers (Intel i7 = 105* C and I belive NVIDIA GTX ~ 89* C to 95* C), but I am not sure what Dell's safe thermal limits are set at for the CPU/GPU in your laptop/chassis configuration... it looks close to me.

Your CPU barely tapped out at 100% for any amount of time, but the one square section had it in the upper 90's of usage, which is fine. Based on all the graphs it doesn't look like your CPU is throttling or hitting its limits at all, but it does look like your GPU is throttling slightly, sometimes because of temperature limitations, other times because of lack of being able to draw enough power from its power supply (brick) due to other parts of the system being run at their upper limits at that moment in time. The other limitation I am facing here is I don't normally run the benchmark you are performing, so I'm not sure what its test sequence is supposed to look like.

However, moving on, it looks like your GPU throttled a little bit towards the end of the first square section of 100% usage. I assume those 3 phases are meant to be that way in the test. Based on the GPU graphs of the 3 most intense sections of the graph (that look mostly like big square waves) it would seem Dell's safe temperature limit may actually be 79 *C for your hardware which looks to be around 10-15% of a safety overhead they leave in place to protect the hardware from being thrashed.

The GPU temp limit and power limit graphs also indicate throttling for different reasons in those 3 heavy GPU areas we are analyzing here. The GPU voltage and no load limit graphs are more or less the temp limit and power limit graphs combined into one. The GPU voltage limit and no load limit graphs are for the mostpart, inverses of each other.

So I would say based on all of this, you are throttling a certain amount. It is hard to say if it is a normal amount for the benchmark being performed on your same machine however because I am not familiar with that benchmark and its test phases or what it throws at your machine nor your specific machine chassis and hardware configuration

If you are comfortable running furmark, you can stress your machine to its upper limits for a few minutes after it is heated up and get reliable upper limit graphs from Afterburner to compare the benchmark findings to.

I would also say, make sure to maximize your Afterburner window for maximum time span. Also you can set your polling rate to 200ms to 500ms for an even smoother, more accurate graph, but it will scroll across the screen quicker, meaning you will actually have a narrower time window to look back at your system's performance graphs. This is where the Afterburner Remote Server App can sometimes come in handy also.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maleko48 likes this.
  9. repkyle

repkyle Newbie

Reputations:
    going to post my benchmarks when i get up and running but i have a issue that's driving me crazy, hopefully someone here has encountered it.

here is a screenshot of how it is now, original score was over 3000
    https://imgur.com/a/GhFF2

I did a benchmark on my ssd when I took it out of the box, did a fresh install still getting good speeds. Now it's about half speed. Windows 10 is installed uefi w/ secure boot using gpt. ahci is enabled in bios. i've installed all appropriate dell drivers, and used the intel tool to get the latest sata ahci drivers. ive exhausted any "ssd optimization" type of fixes i've found in different places online. i've noticed in the benchmark that before it listed "iastora" and now it's "stornvme" but regardless of what I do i can't get it back to iastora even installing the intel rapid storage drivers. i've booted into safe mode tried removing and installing the intel drivers again, even tried editing the registry to force ahci.

i'm hoping someone has went through this and can help me out. thanks

10. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, here's currently what i've done so far:

Repaste with Artic Silver 5, Heatsinks on the MOSFETS, Undervolt CPU -115 and iGPU -100, and recently did copper sheet mod with thermal pads. The only thing i didn't do was apply new pads to the VRAM (stock looks like its making great contact (very tight). I'm still getting the power limit with my GPU..any suggestions? See pictures.

When i repasted with Kryonaut i was getting way hotter temps than I was with the AS5.

Attached Files: