[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

89.3%
  2. i5-7300HQ

9.0%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

52.5%
  5. 1080p FHD

32.8%
  6. 56WHr

11.5%
  7. 97WHr

72.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Because I know folks that ought not do it, at least themselves :)
    There are reports of higher temps after repasting, stripped screw threads, spilt liquid metal etc. Most were likely not reported.
    And apparently there are samples of XPS 15 with no direct CPU or GPU thermal throttling out-of-the-box, which may not need it urgently - the same logic as yours in fact.
    Step 1 - learn to benchmark and measure temperatures, then undervolt, no screwdriver.
    Step 2 - repaste, add simple VRM thermal pads, evaluate again.
    Step 3 - mod further, if you're handy and can take the risk. Or get a heavier laptop instead.

tachlio and pressing like this.
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Epanastasis

Epanastasis Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to have caused such a disruption on this thread!

I appreciate everyone is trying to help best they can, sometimes we get caught up thinking that if someone doesn't take our suggestion, the implication is the suggestion is worthless (not the case).

@GoNz0 - you were likely trying to save me time and money with your suggestion, much appreciated.

Unfortunately my circumstances make it less time (and probably money) efficient to attempt this myself than to outsource.

Even for a simple repaste, I would need to purchase:

[Thermal Grizzly] Conductonaut - $32.15
    Anti Static Wrist Strap - $11.99
    Laptop/phone precision tool set - $23.98
    Delivery of above - $14.99

Materials: $83.11

Add an hour or two of research, plus another hour to perform the repaste and test results (and these are hours I'm either taking from my wife and kid or from work).

It's not as simple as just "repaste" for a guy like me - building in my hourly wage for the hours I'd need to spend on this and suddenly it's a couple of hundred to DYI.

I'm going to PM @iunlock to discuss his services further, but if he can't help me I will go ahead with the above, and post my experience and results (especially over the Aussie summer coming up).

4. Wheels.

Wheels. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess all Dell PCs are overheating

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    anytimer likes this.
  5. tachlio

tachlio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A good summary for those like to optimize the XPS. myself on-hold on step 2 although during Asus ROG realbench show throttle after 10min, however there is no throttle during gaming etc. I take this as risk/performance balance, I'm appreciate @iunlock provide the guideline on further mod, however those must understand risk.

Please give the thread informative with tweaking improvement result.

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hah you two are both being immature right now. You're both valuable members of this community and have helped a ton of people. No one is right in this back and forth argument.
    Here are my thoughts:
    If you want to do anything intensive at all (aka games or a lot of video editing) then you need to seriously mod the XPS via iunlock's process.
    If you use your laptop like most users do and you're just internetting (I love making verbs) then a repaste or even stock is likely fine for you.

I am quite happy with iunlock's modding advice on my laptop. It runs cool and I can even use my laptop like I think it should be used! However after saying that I mostly use my XPS for school (boo)...

Also, @iunlock, sell me your aero 15, I have the itch to upgrade (for no real reason) and the Aero 15 is what really has caught my eye...

tachlio, Vasudev and Don16 like this.
  7. Don16

Don16 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you want to do anything intensive at all (aka games or a lot of video editing) then you need to seriously mod the XPS via iunlock's process.

Are you sure that mod is working and xps is not throttling?

8. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Get [Thermal Grizzly] Kryonaut instead. Not a huge difference in overall performance as compared to Conductonaut liquid metal, but much less critical if some gets spilled onto the motherboard.

custom90gt likes this.
  9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thread cleaned, dozens of posts. Probably some nice babies flushed out with the bathwater, but tough luck. Who has time to read, let alone edit, 4 pages of silly kerfuffling?

The members involved are better than this. We know it, and you know it too!

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The only throttling I get is when I run realbench, then the CPU reaches it's max power limit and throttles down to 2.4GHz, but that's dell's design and not due to thermal issues.

ALLurGroceries likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.