[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

89.8%
  2. i5-7300HQ

9.3%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

52.5%
  5. 1080p FHD

32.2%
  6. 56WHr

11.9%
  7. 97WHr

71.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Do you have any more screen shots of hwinfo64 (showing all four cores, power limits, etc...) that you can post? Similar to how I have mine set up in the OP.

Which config do you have? 7700HQ?

I have everything padded below with some crazy mods...testing still in progress and I'll update the OP later today.

2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But why would that be so, considering that the thermal conductivity of LM is so much higher? Does the CPU heat up the GPU (higher temperature on the same heatpipe)? Or is it because the dosing of LM is pretty sensitive an one is likely to apply less than needed to avoid a spill? Air bubble? Some have posted photos showing a rather thick paste layer remaining on one side of a chip due to misalignment.

3. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll input my experiences with LM...
    1. There's a misconception out there that LM doesn't work well as a gap filler. It's actually the absolute best gap filler you can get. Liquid metal pastes are based on 2 main elements, gallium and indium. When you physically combine gallium and indium you create an alloy which has a very low melting point...Gallium alone melts around 29C...however with indium its much lower. So that's why you see liquid metal staying a liquid. I guess Coollaboratory has some other metals mixed in but my guess is it's because the gallium and indium aren't totally pure metals. I believe the chemical name of the alloy is Galinstan (Gallium + Indium + Tin). Since the "paste" is actually metal...its thermal conductivity is much much higher than a normal paste. Wiki has galinstan listed as a 16.5w/mK thermal conductivity which is about half what coollaboratory claims...but I digress. I'm no chemical engineer but it sure sounds fun...

The challenge with the liquid metal paste in a laptop is you have to get the application perfect... too much and you run the risk of it dripping out from normal laptop handling and too little and if your heatsink flexes and has a gap..it might not fill it...in my rig, there's a slight gap caused by the thermal pads on the VRAM. Now I corrected this with adding thermal pads between the heatpipes and frame of the laptop to continually push down on the heatsink... then I also removed the pads and added paste instead since the gap tolerance was less than what a 0.5mm pad could do...so paste was the next best option.

Liquid metal if applied correction can show incredible temperature improvements. I'd highly recommend it for people that are incredibly experienced with electronics and understand that this paste could completely destroy your laptop if it drips on a motherboard lead or you get some on the alu heatsink area...

Some people are concerned that the liquid metal paste will infiltrate the transistors in the actual die of the CPU or GPU...to date that hasn't happened for everyone...I was concerned with this also since I want a liquid metal paste to last me 5+ years in a laptop...the die is sealed with some chemicals and basically it shouldn't have an issue with it...if the die wasn't sealed a metal heatsink would short all the transistors...

I do get thermal migration from the GPU or CPU to either one... so if I'm benching just my GPU and very little CPU usage...i'll eventually see my CPU rise, not to the same temp as the GPU but it'll definitely be higher...and same with the GPU....since the heatpipes are together and the CPU/GPU use the same heatsink its bound to happen. This is also kinda a fatal flaw for gaming... since games use a fair amount of power from both the GPU and CPU....running both will heat up the laptop more than any single benchmark would. For instance, I've seen 72C on the GPU and 70C on the CPU in BF1 after an hour of gaming... conversely, running just prime95 I max out around 62C after an hour... way lower but that's because there's no power needing dissipated from the GPU...

pressing and _sem_ like this.
  4. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    With traditional paste, it has a more even contact with the heat sink and unlike the CPU where it has four cores (areas which are sensitive with a lot less room for error) the gpu (die) has a much greater tolerance; where having all the contact you can get plays a bigger role than the thermal conductivity rating itself.

Here are the thermal conductivity numbers of traditional paste vs liquid metal:

Liquid Metals:
    Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut - 73 W/mk
    Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra - 38.4 W/mk
    Coollaboratory Liquid Pro - 32.6 W/mk

Traditional Paste:
    Gelid GC Extreme: 8.5 W/mk
    Grizzly Kyronaut: 12.5 W/mk
    ICD: 4.5 W/mk (Not recommended. Rubbish in my books.)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lol that's because it was running thunderbolt with a 1080...

pressing likes this.
  6. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Yea that's what annoys me in that these eGPU's via an AMP doesn't have their own category.

I hope they change that soon.

ThePerfectStorm likes this.
  7. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Nice topic, I would be interested to see some 3DMark 11 scores with i5-7300HQ and i7-7700HQ. Both the final score and the Phisics score.
    Also if someone would do the same tests with DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3000 would be much appreciated.

Maleko48 likes this.
  8. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    You buy the ram, I'll test it for you...lol jk

my 3d mark score is posted in the main OP...I have the i5.

9. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    unlock,

Here's my HWINFO gaming temps:
    [​IMG]

Only gamed with the GPU at 1820MHz during my session but nevertheless...still overclocks great!

custom90gt likes this.
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Great temps, I just delidded and used Conductonaut on my i7 7700k and my temps went down 30C, I'm a big fan now...

Pete Light likes this.