[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

89.2%
  2. i5-7300HQ

10.8%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

59.5%
  5. 1080p FHD

33.8%
  6. 56WHr

12.2%
  7. 97WHr

78.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    It keeps the voltage then?
    I use it on my games PC to overclock the hell out the video card but it's primarily open to control the GPU water cooler fan speeds via PWM as the temps sit so low the vBIOS want's to shut it down. Turning it off obviously stops the custom fan profile.

It would be nice if we could mod the vBIOS like standalone cards!

2. djkanoko

djkanoko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone done any power efficiency testing of the various CPU and GPU throttling mechanisms on the XPS 9560 in regards to gaming?

I'm looking to maximize the FPS per Watt while gaming and am curious how these settings affect this:

nVidia cPanel & Inspector throttling settings
    Windows CPU and PCI throttling settings
    Dell Power Manager throttling settings
    XTU??
    Afterburner??

My assumption is that some power throttling will help as it reduces power consumption during less computational intensive periods, but that maximized throttling might do worse because too much time and energy is wasted switching between power states.

Also I always use v-sync, so I assume I'd also want to reduce the clock and/or increase throttling until the GPU is stably generating frames just slightly above the refresh rate (60-70fps). Otherwise the GPU will waste energy waiting to generate new frames while at a higher clock speed.

3. infernix

infernix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I have the same issue with Pwr showing up, but my ambient readings are way way lower. You fixed this entirely by getting more cooling on VRMs?

4. infernix

infernix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To answer myself, yes, it's 100% a temperature issue. I took a blow dryer on cool and held it against the entire VRM section and the GPU happily runs at 1.7GHZ the entire time during Unigine Valley; 5 seconds after I stop cooling the VRM area, Power limit throttling kicks in.

Now just need to figure out which ones are the culprit for GPU.

Edit: So I did some testing and i'm 99% sure it's the VRAM overheating that causes this.

I have an IR gun and when I put a blow dryer on cold air up against the VRAM for a minute or two, GPU will happily run at 1.7GHz and the Performance Limit in HWiNFO jumps to "reliability voltage" - which I understand to be the max voltage it gives the gpu to run at max clock.

Every single Ambient sensor onder DELL in HWiNFO drops below 45c but still gpu does power limit throttling, but the moment i put the fan on the VRAM (specifically the ones closest to the back of the chassis) ambient temps do not matter - it'll stop power throttling. Ambient temps can go up to 50+ and it still happily runs the GPU at max clock.

So question is what to do, if anything. the stock thermal pads make good contact because the heatsink above the hottest vram chip (below the QR sticker) gets up to 60C easily.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got a 7700HQ arriving tomorrow. Will enable SpeedShift, do a clean install of Windows and drivers, do a simple undervolt, careful repaste with Conductonaut, and some (very) quick vent modding with Kapton tape.

If the VRAM chips are making good contact with the heatsink, I think I will leave the factory pads on for now.

custom90gt likes this.
  6. tachlio

tachlio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My 2nd phase also had similar setup

[​IMG]Thermal Manangement #2

pressing likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Received the 7700HQ with a Samsung 961 SSD. Benchmarks are much better than those of my 6300HQ with Samsung 850 EVO. This 9560 really overwhelms the XPS' cooling. Did no physical modding to the 9560.

Did a clean install and several tweaks to minimize latency. However, I was dissappointed that overall latency is slightly better on my 6300HQ. I expected improvement moving to a faster CPU, nvme drive, and a gen2 board. Improving latency for virtual instruments was the main reason to upgrade.

Given weaker latency performance, high heat, and broken left HDMI-USB ports, I returned the 9560 and am happy with my 9550.

8. dirkules

dirkules Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What did you use to attach the little Heastsinks? I ordered some here in Germany but they just use double sided tape which I'm assuming hinders heat transfer between MOSFET and heat sink.
    On the other hand I fear that if I use a thermal pad to attach the heatsink it might fall off.

Any suggestions?

9. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If using the little sinks "standalone", google up thermal adhesive, but mind it may be difficult to remove afterwards, and that the sinks alone don't help enough. Doing the full mod, you can use regular thermal paste, and make sure you put in thermal pads in so that they keep everything in place after the chassis is screwed back together.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    It's double-sided thermal tape and for your application will be fine. Glue them and kiss goodbye to any warranty.

pressing likes this.