[CPU + GPU Temperatures + Benchmarks] - XPS 15 [9560] Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iunlock, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Which configuration do you have? (Select 3x)

1. i7-7700HQ

89.2%
  2. i5-7300HQ

10.8%
  3. i3-7100H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4K UHD

59.5%
  5. 1080p FHD

33.8%
  6. 56WHr

12.2%
  7. 97WHr

78.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 917er

917er Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi folks, last week my XPS 15 came and thanks to this forum I knew everything about it`s flaws, but I also learned how to fix most of them, now I want to share how everything played out.

First after checking for hardware fails I made a the BIOS update 1.3.4 and enabled speed shift via UEFI Shell.
    After that I Benchmarked. Everything was tested in my basement, because temperature and humidity stay at 20°C and 55% the whole summer (I measured). Windows was untouched everything was the way Dell set it up, not even Internet was set up, so it won´t run updates in the background.I ran Heaven, Fire Strike and Time Spy.

After I tested with everything stock, I repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut and K5 Pro for the V-RAM for better contact. I also applied Kapton tape (see picture), so that no air could escape in to the housing, except where the vram sit´s in order to give it some airflow. I put another layer of Kapton tape on to the sticky side. I did that so that no dust would tstick there and block the airflow. (It was a mess took me around 3h to get the tape right) (Kapton tape is for 3D-printers and can be used up to 350°C and is non conductive)

InkedDell XPS 15_LI.jpg

After the modification I ran the Benchmarks again. This time in different ways.
    1.without bottom plate
    2.without bottom plate and fan under it
    3.with the bottom plate
    4.with the bottom plate and dust filters on the grill
    5.with the bottom plate and the full grill uncovert (without the copper thing)
    6.with the bottom plate and the full grill covert with a dust filter
    7.with the bottom plate and the full grill covert with a dust filter and undervolting (CPU -135mV; GPU -150mV)

I did a lot more test, but undervolting is different with each CPU and GPU so in my table there´s just the final result. I did the "GPU undervolting" with MSI Afterburner, I changed the clock speed/voltage curve.

-150mV.JPG

And here are my results:
    Dell_XPS_15_temperatures.jpg

So I hope this answers some questions!!!
    Special thanks to @pressing, @GoNz0, @Rockstar75, @iunlock

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Rockstar75, Arondight and pressing like this.
  2. 917er

Reputations:
    The moment I "undervolted the GPU" via MSI AB, HWiNFO64 shows Performance Limit - Power = Yes, Performance Limit - Thermal = yes. But temperatures were lower, while benchmark scores were higher. Anyone an idea why?

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    because you undervolted springs to mind so it could obviously hold higher clocks?

Sorry but I didn't read your post above, I lost interest in the modding side as it brings nothing new to the table nowadays.

4. 917er

Reputations:
    I meant, it wasn´t throttling (power and thermal) while I hadn´t undervolted the GPU. It had 73°C in Time Spy, with undervolted GPU it had 65°C and HWiNFO64 shows that it is throttling. But the GPU doesn´t throttle thermaly with 65°C. But HWiNFO shows that the moment I use the dedicated GPU, while it is being undervolted. (I tested this with just -25mV and only light use)

What I was asking is why HWiNFO64 is showing that is thermaly throttles although it obviously doesn´t ?
    Is it because MSI AB is in charge?

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I don't think afterburner will be doing anything other than taking some wattage off the GPU allowing the CPU to use more as the laptop has an upper limit it has to share out. You will still be hitting the wall and throwing the cap warnings if the application is demanding enough, and benchmarks are usually the reason you are seeing it as it is a synthetic benchmark not real world and is designed to punish gaming grade hardware. This is why I gave up on all that, repasted and got on with it :)

6. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have any proof that MSI Afterburner is actually undervolting the dedicated GPU? The GTX1050 right? Not the iGPU? Post a pic of HWINFO with the undervolt and your GPU voltage... I believe it runs stock around 1.050-1.075V... I can do 1890MHz on the GPU on stock volts! hehe! :chatterbox:

7. 917er

Reputations:
    Here without the undervolt:
    Inked6.Fire Strike_LI.jpg

And here with the undervolt:
    Inked8.Fire Strike -150mV_LI.jpg

Hope that´s proof enough.
    I did it with MSI AB. Just press <Ctrl> + <F> and you get the Voltage/frequency curve editor and there you edit the frequency you want to have at a certain Voltage. I gave it the max frequency at 925mV and not at the stock 1075mV.
    -150mV.JPG

Attached Files:

GoNz0, Rockstar75, MrBuzzkill and 2 others like this.
  8. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HOLY..... dude that's like the holy grail with what i've been trying to find... That is freaking awesome! I'm undervolted to 1.000V right now at 1797MHz and I barely hit 70C now in BF1. You're getting an even lower undervolt at 1797MHz??? That's crazy that Nvidia gives that much headroom...no wonder why the CPU/GPU combined run so hot..

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see on your HWiNFO64 report your PL Limits are stock. Search my post as XTU will allow you to boost those numbers say 5 or 10 watts.

That trick might knock off the limit flags. It made a huge difference in my 9550, particularly throttling for the ROG StressTest (which is not so stressful but really tough on the XPS).

A few notes:

- if you boost those numbers by a large amount your computer will ignore the changes
    - XTU is buggy and resets values frequently so you need to recheck constantly (more than weekly)
    - you must carefully monitor that max thermals stay below say 77*C on the vrm and well below 85*C for everything else
    - this is quite dangerous in all cases

10. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you "set" this undervolt? I just tried similar settings in my Afterburner, but whenever I benchmark or game, the voltages don't seem to set. No matter what, it always runs at the stock 1.075v.

Edit: Nevermind, I am an idiot and apparently didn't press the apply button hard enough.

Edit 2: Seems to work pretty well and help significantly against throttling. I wasn't able to get -150mv (with overclock) without freezes, but -100mv so far works. Have to finetune it some more.

Some statistics (didn't screenshot)

Valley Benchmark Stock Voltages:
    GPU Temp: 77 degrees C
    GPU max voltage: 1.063v
    Core clock: 1.683 mhz
    Memory clock: 1.752 mhz
    Valley FPS: 50.7 fps
    Valley score: 2121
    Valley Min FPS: 21 fps
    Valley Max FPS: 103.6 fps

Valley Benchmark Undervolt (-100mv)/Overlock (+100mhz):
    GPU Temp: 74 degrees C