CPU Bottleneck & CPU Cooling Dilemma

Discussion in 'MSI' started by ronferri, Jul 18, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You could probably try R6: Siege for that.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Siege is a very low cpu usage game....

Assassims creed odesey is the heaviest until now that i saw.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Uh what? Its maxed near every proc I've had for a while.

No idea about Assassins Creed, fell off that train like 5-6 sequels ago.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It never did on any of my laptops, it is in fact oen of the games that doesnt make my system sweat as much so overall temps are lower in that game.... I have the high res texture pack installed as well.

BF5 and the last 2 AC games are by far the most stressing games I have tested. Even then the 6700/7700HQ has enough horsepower to spare.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  5. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unless you are running siege at 60 fps i doubt your cpu hasn't reached 100% there.
    Siege is really cpu intensive, especially with unlocked framerate.

6. ronferri

ronferri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    CPU Core temps is a better indication of CPU usage than the percentage indicator. BF5 for example, core usage never reaches 80% but temp is 89C after which it throttles. In BF4 core temp is 64C-68C. % usage is always under 80% for all cores in all games so i disregard it.

Papusan likes this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I disagree. Even on my overclocked desktop hexa-core i5 with 3000MHz memory, BF1 in the most CPU-heavy 64 player maps drops to around 100 FPS due to a CPU limit:

The game doesn't seem to benefit much if at all from Hyper-Threading either, at least on a hexa-core. My friend's 8750H locked to 3.9GHz was getting minimums around 80 FPS in the same scenario:

Papusan and GrandesBollas like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Core i5's are at quite a disadvantage in BF1 and BFV........Those 2 extra threads on quad cores i7s do matter in BF1. Also you are dropping all setting son purpose to create a bottleneck. That doesnt mean your CPU is a bottleneck in itself, basically you are pushing the CPU to the max now to see how well it does. Once you just select the settings suitable to your GPU you will notice it iwll never hit the 100% usage mark by a long shot.

What you are showing isnt a CPU bottleneck. Mind you that my old 7700HQ, 1070GTX is never dropping sub 80 fps in BF1 with all settings on high.

9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Excuse me? CPU being constantly loaded at 100% on all cores, with low GPU usage, isn’t a CPU bottleneck? Are you being serious right now?

No I am not dropping settings on purpose to create a bottleneck. Those are literally the exact settings I have played using for 150+ hours, because I value FPS/input lag and visibility over visual quality.

Hyper-Threading helps in BF1 on a quad-core yes, but it helps little if at all on a hexa-core, which I showed on the second video with that 6C/12T i7-8750H versus my 6C/6T i5-8600K and the performance delta being in line with the clockspeed difference.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The lower CPU usage comment was based on the second video.

But still that is not really what a CPU bottleneck is called.....You are just maxing out your CPU (not an ideal CPU for BF games at that in my experience by the way) and because of that your GPU isnt fully utilized. But a bottleneck? Nah if you would have selected higher settings you would still have that excellent framerate with great visual.

Thi sis not what we call a CPU bottleneck, you simply try to let the CPU push as many frames as possible by eliminating load on your GPU. THat is not a case of the usual CPU and GPU mismatch.