CPU and GPU upgrade on Acer Aspire 6930G

Discussion in 'Acer' started by nklive, Jul 24, 2009.

1. sirtiti

sirtiti Newbie

Reputations:
    On ebay have some copper shim in fact. It's better and it's work !

2. geko95gek

geko95gek Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Want to get GT240M for my Acer 7720G, which currently has FX770 installed.

Having hard time sourcing it though, well apart from eBay...

3. Arnold0

Arnold0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm new over here, but I have an ACER 6930G since years now (I think almost 5 years already).

Tooday I decided it was the time to upgarde it a little because it start to feel slow, and it don't have VT-x (Intel core2duo T5800 with 800Mhz FSB). I just bought an core2duo T9600 wich is 1066 FSB and 2.8Ghz (800MHz higher that what I have now) on ebay and i should have it next weekend. For me it seams a nice thing. But watching over ebay I also saw this : "For Acer Aspire 5920 5920G upgrade GT 240M DDR3 1GB MXM II VGA video Card"

Even if it's not the same computer name, it's the same interface (MXM II). I actualy have an Geforce 9600M GS. Do you think it's worth buying ? Does this card fit correctly without having to mess with the cooler ?

I would also like some links to modified bios with VT-x support (I saw some in an 2010 thread, but the links are dead...)

Thanks for you answers :)

4. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The vga card should fit. Make sure it has a BIOS chip (so no Toshiba one). It is basically plug and play.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 4 met Tapatalk 4

5. Relic77

Relic77 Newbie

Reputations:
    hey arnold

ask you to cpu in acer intel T9600 think? where did you? where you bought the cpu ebya and for how much? needed would advise what is the price of the U.S. to Europe ...

6. Arnold0

Arnold0 Newbie

Reputations:
    The CPU was 80€ with shipping.
    Sadly the seller have no one left :\

About the graphics card I got it, but I have problems with drivers... Some advice ? The french website I use for downloading drivers saw it fine 240M but I don't get any link to download... I downloaded nVidia drivers and it seams to be stuck at checking drivers compatibility...
    Here are gpu-z results :[​IMG]
    Help please :\

7. Arnold0

Arnold0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Using some modified inf file I managed to have the driver install, but then the PC got BSOD all the time (I enter my password, bsod.) I removed the card and put back the original one. I bought a copper shim (Because I think the card don't touch the coller correctly, when I screw it up, the card seams to be distored, looking like the MXM connector is too high, so my BSOD might be overheating...) so I'll wait for it to arrive to try again next weekend.

8. Relic77

Relic77 Newbie

Reputations:
    hey arnold

I already have a T9600 ... I want to ask you whether you try to overclock this processor ... And yet, I wonder what your CPU temperature at rest and burdens ...

you changed your graphics card, you were there before geforce 9600GT 1GB DDR2? or other? because for me it 9600GT 1GB DDR2. work by me and 240M? performance is seen?

thank you

9. TPAKTOPA

TPAKTOPA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm still using my Acer Aspire 6930 for nealy 6 years now, and even though it is good laptop it becomes slower than my needs. I'm thinking to add SSD hard drive and install the operation system and most used software on it, but I've never used SSD before so the only thing that I know is that they are much faster than the standard HDD. So two questions:
    1. Will this significantly improve the performance of the Laptop?
    2. does SSD comes in same size as the HDD, because I'm thinking to put it in the additional bay for the 2-nd hard drive, but the standard HDD won't fit in there (it fits if I did't put the cover) and on my opinion if the SSD is thinner it should be OK.

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    1. Depends on your current drive, but if it's 320GB 5400rpm, it will blow your mind :D
    2. Usually 7mm tall (regular HDD - 9.5mm), so it should fit fine.