CPU 3720QM Overheating/unstable clocks?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Throbin, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throbin

Throbin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys so i have been having some issues with my CPU either its overheating or just not staying at a stable clock.

1266355_10152002846673296_621727823_o.jpg

During 3D Mark's Firestrike CPU tests it will fluctuate from 30-40FPS then drop for a couple of seconds to 10-15FPS (low fps stutter) then go back up to 30-40 again.

Is the CPU overheating or is that a normal temp? i used to have it constantly running at around 3.7ghz but cant remember what i did to get that to happen.

Any help appreciated!

2. p4izanagi

p4izanagi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the maximum temp is 105C? is that normal? i thinks its overheating.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Is firestrike CPU test the only thing giving you these sorts of temps ? Is it higher than its previously been during the CPU part of this bench? Ambient temps..? More details would really help

I've only used Firestrike a few times but I did notice the CPU bench is extremely demanding and I saw a low FPS.

I'm going to go out on a hunch and assume this is the only time you are seeing these kinds of temps...
    If that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Its perhaps time to take some of the measures the tweakers around here do. Easiest and most painless ones -properly clean your fans and HS. You can also raise the back of your machine with a couple of coke lids for better heat dissipation.

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Time for a repaste and cleaning.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    A 3720QM running 3.8GHz should not be getting that hot. If Throbin is in a really hot work environment, it may. But, most likely it just needs a thorough fan/heat sink cleaning. If that does not do the trick, then a repaste. That would be the perfect time to install a 3-pipe Extreme CPU heat sink if it still has the 1-pipe stock heat sink.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes such a short term CPU test should not be maxing it out.

7. Throbin

Throbin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ill take the plunge and do a full repaste and clean the fans and heat sinks.

What Thermal Paste & Paste cleaner to remove the old would you guys recommend?

reborn2003 likes this.
  8. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check to make sure your cpu heatsink is straight as well due to the 20+C temp variance.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Unless I have some electronics cleaning wipes handy, I use alcohol and cotton swabs to remove the old stuff. A plastic pick tool works fine to knock off any large clumps of dried out old paste or TIM first.

When I do.JPG

10. ultimablade

ultimablade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Originally coming from 3610QM, you can always upgrade your CPU to something like a 2960XM/3920XM/3940XM along with a Triple-Pipe Cooler, that will give you much more headroom for overclocking and bring with it tremendous CPU performance. For the CPU + Heat Sink, you're looking at between $300 - $600, depending whether you opt for the 2960XM or newer 39XXXM processors. There is also tons of help on this forum on getting the most out of your beast. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.