Correct positioning of VRM thermal pads in XPS 9570

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Mulgul, Jan 9, 2019.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Mulgul, I think the main issue with sinking all of the VRM is that the backplate cannot handle all of it. If you're on a cooler than perhaps it would be best to just sink them all. All of my conclusions came from days of testing and hundreds of HWinfo logs. Also remember you have a different VRM setup than me and @republicofsam, so any of our results don't totally apply to you.

pressing likes this.
  2. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, let's see what comes out from @republicofsam 's analysis (cool stuff dude). However, as long as only padding some VRMs is not dangerous, as I said I could not be happier so far. But just as an aside, with my external cooler, my back does not get super hot, so it seems to be able to handle it. Really curious what @republicofsam is going to find!

3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @republicofsam Thanks for your work!
    EDITED:
    Looking closely at your pictures. It seems that you have the first revision of the motherboard.
    In your pictures, only the MOSFETs from the CPU side are getting.
    What stress test are you using?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's a better idea of what my power regulation circuitry looks like on my machine. Again, I'm aware it's slightly different layout.. That said I'm positive it's a good starting point as the 9570 is going to be heavily related.
    I haven't even started pulling part numbers yet to see what's doing what. Lots of footage to go through. My exam was simply a CPU only test with wPrime 2.10 1024M iterations. A combined test would be in the works.
    [​IMG]
    PU1202, PU1200, PU1201 are the item's we are interested in here.

5. abujafar

Reputations:
    if you run heaven you will see the MOSFETs gpu side get hot.

6. Dialup David

Reputations:
    I guess I never realized how terrible the combined load VRM situation really was. Holy smokes, that's borderline dangerous from my results. I actually got a reading of 118*C on one of my other tests.. Geepers. Those GPU MOSFET's are outrageously hot (so hot in fact they nearly overheat the CPU MOSFET's!), can't believe Dell engineers would leave them like that.

_sem_ and abujafar like this.
  7. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey @republicofsam,
    many thanks for this! There are even stories (which I can confirm) about the VRMs reaching 125 degrees. Seems pretty unsafe, right? Anyways, I am sure this test was long overdue for many XPS 9560 owners. Let's hope someone gets around to doing the same thing with the new XPS 9570 motherboard!

8. Dialup David

Reputations:
    @Mulgul Anytime bud! Let me know if there's anything else I can do with my equipment. Nice to find new uses for it.
    I think I'm going to open a new thread and cross post this on the XPS forum directly so people can find this a bit easier than digging through a thread of a different model machine.

9. abujafar

Reputations:
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't see any reason that @republicofsam shouldn't create his own post and not get lost in the sea so to speak.