Correct positioning of VRM thermal pads in XPS 9570

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Mulgul, Jan 9, 2019.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @custom90gt I didn't know throttlestop could do that! Is it a new feature?
    Have you tried it? Can you keep the power limit above 56w? Can you avoid the dips to 42w during stress tests? In short, is it able to bypass DELL power management?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey,
    it is a new feature. Sadly I haven't tried it on my XPS since it's boxed up and listed on Ebay, but I did try it on my Overpowered15 laptop and it worked. I may even try it on the X1 Extreme too.

3. abujafar

Reputations:
    @Mulgul the real question is: does your computer throttle because the CPU/GPU get hot or does it throttle because the VRMs get hot?
    If it doesn't throttle for VRMs, why bother padding?

4. abujafar

Reputations:
    @custom90gt It works! I have been able to set custom PL1 & PL2 limits and also set the duration of PL2. Did a few cinebench runs to verify the behavior.
    With this trick, you could set say 30w for the CPU during gaming and avoid disabling the turbo.

I have to do further tests to see if under certain conditions dell power management will kick in and change those values.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    splus, Mulgul and custom90gt like this.
  5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The running assumption was that it was throttling in games, though Mulgul didn't specify what he checked. I guess it is natural that one should check for direct throttling first, undervolt, repaste if required.

This PL adjustments look cool indeed... I guess with a properly prepared XPS it should be safe to run the CPU alone (GPU idle) long term at the default short-term turbo limit as long as the temperatures look reasonable... While for the gaming scenario restricting to 30W you suggest is likely a better idea.

> I have to do further tests to see if under certain conditions dell power management will kicks in change those values.

I recall one could change power limits in XTU but they didn't stick, maybe TS keeps reapplying them?
    I recall there was a suggestion a while ago in Lenovo hack circles to script XTU settings, maybe this https://medium.com/@n4ru/45w-performance-from-15w-kaby-lake-r-d8d5e7ea4fad

6. Mulgul

Mulgul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, so just an update on the results: Whereas before I would have to reduce clockspeed to about 2.2 Ghz to avoid power limit throttling, I can now increase the FPS by an additional 5 percent and there is absolutely no power limit throttling any more (constant at 2.9 Ghz, undervolt 130). Could also be because I now also undervolted the 1050 ti (everything flat after 850 mv). BF 5 with 1440p at 75 % resolution absolutely no problem any more, which I am pretty sure is all you can expect from the GPU. So thank you for your tipps. Some tweaks and this XPS 9570 can be turned into a great gaming machine.

7. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Howdy, someone with a 9560 4K max spec machine here.. I just so happen to have the equipment that you all seek.
    Pretty sure you missed one of the VRM's there, I've highlighted it in red in the attached image.
    Outside of the three VRM phases, there's nothing else to pad as there isn't really anything that gets hot outside of the heat soak those three IC's disperse.[​IMG]

8. Mulgul

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    so can anyone confirm @republicofsam, that it would make sense to apply a fourth padding where he indicated? I am still a bit worried that only padding some but not all VRMs will let the non-padded VMRs overheat, while the sensor fails to trigger an alarm (and fails to downthrottle) because the many VRMs that are padded do not generate heat. In this case, one VRM (the non padded) could overheat unnoticed, or have I gotten something wrong? However, for now I just trust @custom90gt who suggests that only padding some VRMs is ok, so I think I will stick WITHOUT padding the last sensor indicated by @republicofsam.

This is because with the indicated padding (not the VRM in red), I am very happy. I can confirm that even if I do not undervolt the GPU, power limit throttling has become a thing of the past. It must have been triggered by the VRMs, which used to reach close to 120 degrees before padding and are now below 90. Config all in all: i9 undervolted by 130 mv, VRMs padded as indicated and GPU forced to reach 1733 MHz at 862 mv (not necessary to avoid power limit throttling, but still nice and 1733 Mhz should be safe as long as the voltage is that low, right?). I have never repasted anything so far.

Anyways, maybe others who have power limit throttling can try the same and see if it works for them as well. I can confirm so far that this is a "solve all problems" solutions for me so far. Maybe others want to start with the padding, plus CPU undervolt 100, plus forcing the GPU to operate at about 1620 Mhz with 900 mv, just to be safe. This should work on most systems, then you could work your way up the silicone lottery. Glad to see that this machine can be made to work after all and thank you so much for your help, @custom90gt, @republicofsam and @_sem_ ! Would be very interested in results from others!

9. Mulgul

Reputations:
    Oh, and one more thing: all of this only works for me in conjunction with an external cooling pad, but then it's perfect.

10. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've recorded a thermal analysis for you, I have to edit it some parts of it tonight a convert over the video formats for sanity purposes when I get time. But you can see lot's of valuable information. Please expect something tonight or tomorrow morning... Recorded on FLIR E8 @ 15FPS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    _sem_ and abujafar like this.