1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Core i7-2720QM or Core i5-560M which one will produce more heat.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by siquadri, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siquadri

siquadri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have Dell XPS 15 L501X with Core i5-560M.

I ordered L502X Core i7-2720QM and planning to return L501X.

But if the L502X Core i7-2720QM produces more heat then i will cancel the order.

Please advise.

2. 4thehorde4

4thehorde4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Clearly the quad core i7 will produce substantially more heat especially under load. To be more specific, the i7-2720QM is rated at 45 watts vs the 35 watts of the i5-560M. I have the i5-460M with my L501x and watching HD videos already makes the left side slightly warm. Playing games like SC2 becomes much warmer. I can only imagine how uncomfortably warm it will become when using the 2720QM.

3. siquadri

siquadri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I thought heat depends on Lithography:

Since the i7 740 had Lithography 45 nm
    and i7-2720QM has Lithography 32 nm

And what is TJUNCTION.

Please fill me in with complete knowledge.

4. 4thehorde4

Reputations:
    While several factors come into play when determining heat emissions, I would imagine that the number of transistors would be the most prominent factor given all else equal. Comparing the ~5.59 million transistors used in the Nehalem i5s to the ~1 billion used in the i7-2720QM, I would imagine heat levels would be substantially higher. Perhaps there is a computer engineer on this board who can further elaborate on this inquiry?

5. Darkstone

Darkstone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    More cores do not equal higher heat emission when executing the same task, in fact, the sandy bridge is more efficient.
    What does this mean? When executing the same moderately heavy task, in the end the i5-560m will emit more heat under load.

Idle is an completely diferent story, but i heard the sandy bridge quadcores have more efficient power gating features than the previous generation.

6. 4thehorde4

Reputations:
    So exactly through what mechanism does the Sandy Bridge series manage to achieve more efficiency in terms of heat emission?

7. sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    More cores don't, but a higher TDP does, and the i7 SB still has higher TDP than i5 duals.

8. Darkstone

Reputations:
    If i knew, i wouldn't be here ;)

If sandy bridge is twice as fast and emits twice as much heat at full speed, does it matter in the end? Not at all.
    It simply doesn't matter if you use 50watts of power in 10 seconds, of 500 watts of power during 1 second. The heat emmissions are the same.

9. gpig

gpig Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i7-2720QM will be hotter under a full load than the i5-560M.

Take a look at the TDP- 45 Watts vs 35 Watts, both numbers chosen by the same manufacturer, Intel. The TDP isn't the maximum wattage of the processor, but rather the amount of heat that Intel recommends that the cooling system can dissipate.

As far as idle temperatures and "light loads" like web browsing go, I don't know (but I'd bet the Quad runs hotter). Also, the same "full load" on the dual-core processor isn't going to be a full load on the quad-core processor, so it's tricky. You'll probably have to find a review site that includes temperatures.

And TJunction is the maximum temperature the processor can handle before it Throttles (lowers performance to cool down), although Dell can and will make this number lower.

10. Darkstone

Reputations:
    In fact the Tjunction refers to the maximum temperature before the system shuts down and had noting to do whit the temperature it stats throttling.