1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Core 2 Duo vs. Centrino Duo

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by IHEARTCLARK, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IHEARTCLARK

IHEARTCLARK Newbie

Reputations:
    I was wondering which intel processor was best Core 2 Duo or Centrino duo. Thay both seem very similar...but i'm not sure which one is better:confused:

2. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Core 2 Duo are newer 64 bit and considered better clock for clock

Edit: oops! wrong, miner is correct.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Centrino Duo (better known as Core Duo) are the previous generation CPUs and are usually less expensive. They can provide better value for money for people who do not need 64-bit capability and are roughly 10% slower at the same clock speed.

John

4. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I dont think we can assume a Centrino Duo to a Core Duo. Core 2 Duo's are also part of the Centrino Duo branding.

What processor does the Centrino Duo model have? Centrino Duo refers to the overall platform which consists of Intel Core or Core 2 Duo's, intel chipset and intel wifi. Its more of a marketing term rather than a reference to the cpu in the system.

5. R4000

R4000 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Correct. My aunt's dv2000t has a T5600 and a Centrino Duo sticker affixed to it.

6. zunq

zunq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Centrino duo label is given to any laptop that uses the Intel branded core duo processor(doesn't matter if it is core or core 2), intel integrated graphics, and intel wifi chip.

7. Budding

Budding Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lol interesting to see so many people, including mods, getting this one wrong. But yeah, like zunq said, Centrino Duo is just a brand for an Intel Core CPU, Intel mobo chipset, and intel wifi card. I don't think it also includes the Intel integrated graphics however. It's like the Centrino label a few years back, which meant an Intel Pentium M CPU, Intel chipset, and an Intel wifi card.

8. powerpack

powerpack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Budding, your laughing, I'm kicking myself for blowing it, but in all fairness miner nailed it. Also because of the way question was phrased, Centrino Duo is not a processor.

9. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    Well, you can't really blame anyone but Intel for this stupid naming system - if it confuses us, then it will confuse the hell out of a normal consumer. For example, the Centrino Duo name has now been used twice - once for M sockets, and another for P sockets. Then they came up with Centrino Pro for 800 Mhz P sockets.

10. Abuhajira

Abuhajira Newbie

Reputations:
    So, then whats the difference in Core Duo (eg 1.8 Ghz T2400) Vs Core 2 Duo (1,8 Ghz)?

Which one is better for what?

thanx.