Copy bios firmware?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by dannyk65, May 10, 2018.

1. dannyk65

dannyk65 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would it be possible to somehow magically copy the P09ABE I'm currently using, revert to an older ABE iteration and come back to the current version?

Also, none of the tactics for downloading old versions work anymore, so I've only been able to procure P03ABE and it seems like an abject failure...I run the .exe and it 'extracts' a setup file (that never does a thing) and a .roc file. Most others' posts talk about winflash and sflash64 and a third one that starts with 'A' and they seem to just flash the bios and it's done.

There's not even the 'Samsung_UPDATE_' Temp folder that's mentioned a zillion times in threads.

2. dannyk65

Reputations:
    So from my avatar pic it's easy to see the internal sata port is cracked badly. This would definitely explain why any hdd I connect doesn't show in bios, but will show on other computers or with external sata-usb adapter.

Sadly, I think this sata port/connector/whatever is built into the mobo and for the life of me I cannot find a replacement...so what are my options? Krazy glue seems like a poor idea...

Is it possible to buy a different sata connector, try and fit somewhere and plug into the mobo and hdd?

Can I get an optical drive caddy/adapter, put the hdd in there and be good like new?

Thank you in advance...
    Dan

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi again dannyk65,

I finally got to take a look at this: I can see now why you were not able to extract the P03ABE BIOS update file. I feared that Samsung had changed how they delivered BIOS update files, which could make it harder for us to fix bricked laptops. But fortunately the problem you saw is simply caused by yours being a UEFI based WinFlash updater, as opposed to the good old BIOS style updater.

Follow the same procedure as described in member isosunrise's rollback guide, including how to locate filenames of available BIOS updates, download those files, and extract them.

But instead of looking for the extracted files in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\__Samsung_Update, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\UEFI WinFlash.

Samsung UEFI WinFlash extract.PNG

Many additional posts have been made in the rollback thread and elsewhere in the Samsung forum about this procedure. I think you know it already, but here goes for the benefit of others who see this:

You first determine the complete filenames of available BIOS update files for your laptop, using its Platform ID (in this case ABE).

To locate BIOS update files before Jan 31 2013, search the BIOSItemList.txt file contained in isosunrise's guide. For the ABE platform ID, I found the following BIOS update filenames:

ITEM_20120912_671_WIN_P02ABE.EXE
    ITEM_20121119_836_WIN_P03ABE.EXE
    ITEM_20130122_958_WIN_P05ABE.EXE
    ITEM_20130129_985_WIN_P05ABE.EXE

(Strangely, there are two versions of P05ABE a week apart.)

For BIOS files after Jan 31 2013, you have to use member @osfrolov's SamsungBIOSFinder.exe utility in post #151 of the rollback thread. Post #299 (and following) gives some guidance on its use.

To find the name of the latest available BIOS update file for a given Platform ID, use the following URL, replacing platformID=ABE with the desired Platform ID:

http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/BUWebServiceProc.asmx/GetContents?platformID=ABE&PartNumber=AAAA

Once a BIOS update filename is found, use the following link to download that file, replacing the filename with the desired file. For example to download P03ABE (filename found in the above):

http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/upload/BIOSUpdateItem/ITEM_20121119_836_WIN_P03ABE.EXE

(Replace the ITEM... part with the desired filename.)

Once you have the file, do NOT run it yet. Use the Compatibility tab under its File Properties and select Windows 7 compatibility mode (see screenshot). This will overcome the desire of recent Windows versions to "protect" you from running it.

BIOS file Compatibility Setting.PNG

Still, do NOT run the file yet! Do NOT run it As Administrator either! Open an Administrator Command Prompt and run the file from there. This is important!

Next, do NOT click OK when the prompt asks to continue flashing the BIOS. Instead, leave that prompt open. Then copy the extracted files from C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\__Samsung_Update. If files aren't found there, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\UEFI WinFlash. After you copied the files, click Cancel to abort the flashing.

Now you can use the flashing utility with the /cvar /patch parameters to clear NVRAM, which often will rescue a bricked laptop: For example WinFlash64 /cvar /patch or Sflash64 /cvar /patch.

Or you can force flash the BIOS file (.CAP or .ROM) using the flashing parameters described in isosunrise's guide.

Or you can flash the BIOS file using an EEPROM burner, if you have access to one and are able to pull the BIOS chip from the motherboard.

@dannyk65: As for dumping your current BIOS and flashing it back, I am afraid I cannot provide much help. I imagine you use RWeverything or similar to make the dump, though I have not tried that myself (at least not since the DEBUG days, which was a much simpler environment).

Please let me know once you have seen this. After that I plan to merge this thread into the BIOS rollback thread in order to make it easier to find for newcomers. I'll probably delete post #2 first ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    dannyk65 and TANWare like this.
  4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Especially with the early Win8 Samsung systems I would be very careful with a bios dump and even flash. These early UEFI systems are well know to easily brick on bios flash.

The problem you were having a lot of times has to do with cloning of a drive. If you cloned the drive and the drive ID number copied between the two drives you can not run both in the system at the same time. You may need to change one of the drive ID numbers.

dannyk65 likes this.
  5. dannyk65

Reputations:
    Thank you so very much for doing all this for my benefit...it has been a learning experience for me going through the process of trying to revive my laptop and this will help me SO much. It is greatly appreciated, Dannemand.

Dan

Dannemand likes this.
  6. dannyk65

Reputations:
    I suppose it's simpler that I haven't added/cloned any drives to this machine...and at this point I'm thinking a defective sata connector (I think I found the part listed as ODD although it's not for an optical drive; it's what the original HDD was plugged into) although I doubt I can tackle removing and soldering/connecting a replacement to the mobo. I believe that's above my pay grade.

Thank you for the reply!

7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    The cables usually are plugged into both the drives and also the main board, rarely are the soldered on but they may be a proprietary connector.

dannyk65 likes this.
  8. dannyk65

Reputations:
    InkedIMG_1695_LI.jpg
    Yeah, sadly this one looks like it has a little soldered micro-connection (vein or whatever they're called) to the white lines on the mobo.

Apologies for awful terminology...