Cooling Upgrade for the 18 (Fans)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by JasperLee93, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasperLee93

JasperLee93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I don't overclock my system (not counting going above the factory overclock).

So far, my thermal paste is able to keep with the latency delay of the fan tables and have not experienced thermal shut down so far ever since Dell came over to my place to replace all the heatsinks and allowed me to use my own thermal paste.

Have tested with Throttle Stop and Cinebench and the results are still stable. Although would hit around 90-92 and the CPU may throttle down to stock speed but not under.

Gaming wise, still ok, I even managed to throw another 110Mhz CC and 500Mhz MC per GPU for testing and it gave me another 8 FPS in Heaven Benchmark, with the temps still staying at 70s.

Of course, if I am unhappy with the current fan tables, I can just use Hwinfo to just blast em all to full (3.7, 3.5, 3.3), really helps, like MSI's dedicated Cooler Boost button on their new laptops which maxes all the fan speeds.

Last but not least, I wouldn't mind me system to be kinda quiet hahahaha. While at school, when my classmates plays games in class, all their fans are at full speed while playing not so demanding games like CS GO, TF2 and Overwatch. But for me, my laptop is quiet like a mouse. So, not easy for the teacher to know whether I am gaming (I AM A NAUGHTY BOY BOY!!)

2. JasperLee93

Reputations:
    A bump. To let u guys know I have ordered the M18X R2 CPU Fan and it is going to be installed in my 18 this week.

Would post back for the results.

3. JasperLee93

Reputations:
    Hi Guys, sorry for the re bump.

I managed to get my used M18X R2 CPU Fan today and tested it in my 18. And yes, the myth of the cable being too short is true. However,after plugging the fan in the motherboard's CPU Fan header, it works!

And in physical feeling, the M18X R2 CPU Fan pushes more air than my current 5.5CFM 18 fan. Even though, in physical appearance, they look the same.

This is also to let u guys know, I am working on a new cooling improvement project on my 18:

*9 Copper Heatsinks is the stock config and the triple fan! Oops!
    [​IMG]

4. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    I am definitely interested in seeing how this project of yours comes along. All the best.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you get good grades and learning all of the right things for a successful future, might as well have some fun. It would only be naughty if you were wasting your teacher's time and setting yourself up for failure down the road by not learning and making bad grades. If your friends all have their fans maxed out and creating a distraction while other people are trying to learn and get something useful out of class, then those are the naughty boys.

I'm guessing the teacher must be deaf or just not very smart if they are not wondering what the ruckus is all about. :vbbiggrin:

6. JasperLee93

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.