1. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 30 minutes beginning about 1:30 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

Cooling system problems on my Toshiba Portege 4000...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by kenshinflyer, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenshinflyer

kenshinflyer Newbie

Reputations:
    Since I'm just asking about my hard drive dilemma, maybe I should ask about how I could fix the unreliable cooling system on my Toshiba Portege 4000. It should be okay, but the speed goes down from screaming to crawling... If it doesn't start, I'd do a manual restart: goad the fan into turning with a piece of cardboard or soft plastic. It's bad--I've wrecked two HDs this way by turning it off without shutdown.

2. Razor2

Razor2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should check if the fan's connector is not loose on the motherboard...if not the fan could be trashed...or the connector on the motherboard...in the first case it is fixable...in the second, it's not worth it.

3. kenshinflyer

kenshinflyer Newbie

Reputations:
    I actually had the unit in good condition with working fan. It went out of shape after my first hard drive change (when I went from 20GB to 40GB). Maybe I'll have it fixed or replaced somehow...