Cooler Master Notepal U1 / U2 Notebook Cooler Review | Pics, Stats and my take on the cooler

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by X2P, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikers

Mikers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I actually bought the U2 cooler after reading X2P's review shortly before Christmas. My main lappy is the NP8662. People in the forums have heard of some users grumbling about the hard drive temps in these machines.

I've actually cut out a circular hole and glued a black metal metal mesh on the inside of the bottom cover to help cool the hard drive. With the U2's fan system, I can target specific parts and that helped immensely.

Oh, and a long overdue thanks goes out to X2P for the review. :)

2. tjphillips

tjphillips Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the U1 come with a fan? On the website it lists a 'fan edition' which suggest there are two versions but i can't find the 'fan edition' anywhere. I've looked on a few sited and a fan is not mentioned in the spec. Also some have a pic with a single fan attached. :confused:

Nevermind, just saw this in the OP Note: There are two versions of each individual U series coolers. One version comes with a fan, while the other is just the stand

Where can i find the fan version in the uk?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. tjphillips

Reputations:
    Anyone? I'd get the U2 but i don't have the deskspace. Can't seem to find a U1 with a fan anywhere.

4. aCuria

aCuria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the envy actually fit? The dimensions don't quite match up. Care to post a pic?

5. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Picked one up for my wife's Vostro 1720 since her Cryo-LX was stolen with the old laptop. The ability to place the fans to match the vents actually made this cooler, even though much smaller, more efficient for cooling the 1720. Even though it hangs over the edges, the fans line up with the vents just peachy.

Decided to pick up a 2nd one for my new E6400 for mobile use without fans. Love that I can tuck the laptop into the cooler for travel and it is VERY light weight. Works great even without the fans for mobile use when I'm at a friend's house, etc.

6. tjphillips

Reputations:
    ^That's why i want one. So the cooling is substantial? I need it for an M1330.

7. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even though the Cryo-LX was massively oversized, that's what I used for my (now-stolen) M1330 and it worked great.

On the 1720 the U2 made several more C difference in cooling with the fans placed just right for the vents (over the Cryo-LX). On the E6400, even without the fans, just getting it off the desk for better airflow makes 7C difference at idle. (at ~74F ambient).

I'm surprisingly sold on how well this light, affodable cooler works.

8. tjphillips

Reputations:
  9. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    Review is pretty accurate, I picked one up a week ago after looking around and comparing. I do agree that the angle is fairly steep compared to what I'm used to, but for $20 I don't mind sticking a ruler under the front to prop it up a cm.

Cools 9c better than my old as crap targus did and is at LEAST 10db quieter... you could easily take it into a library and not think twice about making noise. I wonder how far a G73 would hang over it though.

10. NiravB

NiravB Newbie

Reputations:
    I am planning to go for U2 for my HP DV5z, Is it right choice? my Hp DV5z is like fryin pan... gettin too much hotter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.