Contested Traffic Violation Help

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by BigHops323, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F!nn

F!nn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless you have a lawyer, your not going to win.
    It's the cop's word against yours.

You were speeding, even if he rounded up or down, and even if the date wasnt correct.

Doesnt matter, you were speeding.

Just pay it it's cheap.

I was speeding 90 in a 25 and i told the cop my foot slip on the gas and i got a lawyer, paid 600 for his to speak 2 minutes and got a driving class. nothing on my record.

that's a deal

2. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Tell the cop to show proof. In a real court of law to prove a criminal case, you can't use hear-say, which is exactly what a cop's testimony is.

For me, my ticket is just something I want to fight on principal. I'll probably end up paying the ticket, but I have a stand to take on the legality of seat belt laws. It's not worth hiring a lawyer in my case, unless I manage to get it to a federal level (Which is the goal, but in many cases for people like me, they throw the case out just to get rid of the headache).

3. TravisBean

TravisBean Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree.

The more continuances that you ask for, the more you increase your chances that the officer won't show up for court. (I've heard of cases where people delayed their cases to the point where officers got re-assigned, ect., ect.,) How much this would benefit you, depends more on luck than anything else.

Do you really stand the chance of loosing your licence on a first offense??

I think the most practical thing to do, provided this does not result in loosing your licence and that you have this option, is to take the defensive driving course and pay what is required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.