Contested Traffic Violation Help

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by BigHops323, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintalfonzo

saintalfonzo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As far as the date goes, that will not buy you anything. In order to claim any kind of speedometer problems, you need to have some kind of proof. Since you claim to be aware of the problem, you needed to watch your speed and not depend on the speedometer. Sounds like you're walking into a Catch-22 with this one, a catch that is going to be bad for you.

If there was any kind of traffic in the area, that will further diminish your claim since many of them were probably going only 0-5MPH over the limit. If the officer claims the he saw you passing other cars at a good rate of speed, then that will show the court that you were more than aware you were breaking the law. Regardless of how often the radar gun was calibrated.

Being an 18 year old going 11MPH over the limit, and then trying to make an excuse that the meter was broken, is just going to make you look like you are not willing to take responsibility for yourself. Using that excuse, and then begging to be let off easier than the law demands (aka loosing the privileged to drive), shows that you are not willing to recognize the consequences of your actions.

All in all, presenting the case like this will probably get you into the hot seat and you will lose your license. Take responsibility, show that you need to be able to drive for whatever reason (other than taking girls out to dates). Show that being able to drive allows you to take more responsibility for yourself, such has having a job that makes you more independent. You also will want to lay out to the court how you WILL address the meter problem (if that even comes up), and how you WILL address your own irresponsibility of driving too fast and be more aware of the road.

That law is written to take away driving privileges from people who are irresponsible. Show that you are a more responsible, more adult, person than compared to a whining 18-year-old that is making excuses for driving 11MPH over the limit.

3. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Yes, There has been a study and people who wear their seatbelts are less alert, and have a slower reaction time. If I find it before Thursday, I'll link you to it (I want a copy printed off to take into court with me).

~16,000 people (number of people who died not wearing a seatbelt) out of 300,000,000 is insignificant. Especially when you put it on par that each year, over 650,000 people die from heart related illnesses, over 550,000 die from cancer, 150,000 die from strokes, 75,000 die from diabetes, etc etc. A grand total of 42,000 people die from automotive accidents.... 1.7% of total deaths.

I'm more likely to die from a heart attack with my high cholesterol, or from cancer (I associate with alot of smokers). Speaking of which, since heart attacks and cancer cause 16x and 13x more deaths, respectively (compared to all auto related deaths, seatbelt or no), why don't they write me a ticket when I go through the wendy's drive-thru, and get myself a baconator? Those things are sure clogging my arteries. How about if I bought a pack of smokes? They don't ticket me then (Though, they do tax them severely, and make billions of dollars a year in revenue... it's why the feds and the states haven't banned smoking, is because it's so profitable). It's not illegal for people with diabetes to buy sugary items...

So why just target those who don't wear seatbelts?

Yes, very uncomfortable. The skin on my shoulders has a ton of scar tissue from when my skin started boiling in the Florida sun once upon a time. There is also two spots where I had skin cancer removed up there as well (among 2 other spots on my body). I now only take my shirt off to go to bed, get in the shower, or get a tattoo.

Aside from my shoulders getting rubbed raw, they just love to tug on my nipple piercings, which is also greatly uncomfortable.

My reasons are not excuses, and I don't find them ridiculous. I am not suggesting that other people should not wear their seatbelts, just that they should not tell me to wear one. If several cops have been unsuccessful in getting me to wear one, some kid on the internet is going to fail just as badly.

If somebody else is in my car, that's their choice and risk. If they have a problem with me not wearing a seatbelt, or don't want to risk that, they can walk. If I'm in somebody else's car, and they ask me to wear it, I will, only because it's their car, their rules.

Aside from that, I'm tired of hearing that propaganda about becoming a projectile. That only happens at higher speeds, and only under certain conditions.

I actually was going to bring that up... For 3/4th's of my adult life, I've owned a casket and a hearse, so I'm all set. After they do the cremation, I'm a super cheap funeral.

4. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well said greg.

5. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    As always, Dont do the crime if you cant do the time... or pay the fine.

Modly: I dunno if you have a deathwish or what. Just because you are most likely to die from a heart attack doesnt make you invincible from flying out your car. It means your chances of death are drastically increased.

Even on low speeds, 30mph to instant zero without a seat belt can pull you out of your seat. In WWII people died in tanks driving at like 10mph straight to a solid tree. (tanks have no crumple zone to absorb the shock)

If your gonna go with the defense you mentioned, you better get a legal aid because its frivolous and no court will take you seriously.

6. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Saving 38% of victims in car accident also means that wearing seatbelt will drastically decrease the chance of getting seriously injured. Imagine how much money you can save from that! :D

7. saintalfonzo

saintalfonzo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no way you will lose your license for going 11 mph over the limit in any state, especially when it's your first violation. Just go to court and pay the fine. Depending on how much of a tool the judge is and how sincerely sorry you seem it may or may not be reduced. You'll get a couple of points on your license and your insurance will go up a bit after they find out. Take a defensive driving course if you're that concerned about the points and insurance hike.

8. gengerald

gengerald Technofile Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    You may want to try requesting a reduction in fine as you are 18 (and possibly in school) and the fine would be tough to pay. If you can prove the date angle, then that would be great. If he ticketed you for an act that you did not commit on said date...then it would be invalid. The problem is that it would be his word versus yours, unless you had some way of requesting him to present a schedule, radio times, etc. Good luck. I agree with the above and responsibility may get ya off the hook. I have couple friends that have gone dressed up and accepted their actions and had reduced fines/dropped tickets because the judges were glad to see youth taking responsibility.

9. BigHops323

BigHops323 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I never intended to use the speedo as a defense, I just said it because it really sucked, that car is long since gone. Also as far as the date goes I figure it really depends on the mood of the judge, I had it stamped at the mailing center the day I got the ticket so that I'd have proof of the incorrect date.

As of right now I plan to go in all dressed up and sophisticated looking and bring the date to the attention of the court and then try to use that in a way such as, if the officer can't get the date correct who's to say he was pointing the gun at my car or if it was calibrated recently/correctly, but I need to come up with a polite way of making this point.

Above all I will be hoping for a no-show by the officer.

10. Jason

Jason Overclocker NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Look up the officers phone number, and call him away on a wild goose chase... :p Kidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.