Contested Traffic Violation Help

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by BigHops323, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    I received a speeding ticket last month...:eek:
    25/35. I haven't received a ticket before...wrong place, wrong time!
    It happens, so I *admitted responsibility* with explanation and the District Court lowered my fine from $80, to $40 ~ which was good for me. :)

3 Options in my state: With Ticket:
    1. Admit responsibility without explanation.
    (most do this..mail it in w/payment)
    2. Admit responsibility with explanation/must be done in writing. (will be reviewed, and a letter will be sent with response/decision)
    3. Deny responsibility. (will further a court hearing)

Do you have any of these options in your state? I know Traffic Laws vary from state to state.

Cin ;) :)

2. BigHops323

BigHops323 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, that is what I'm hoping for mainly. I did get granted a continuance when the first date came around in hopes that he wouldn't show for the second.

3. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Because it has been so long since the issue date, it will be harder to prove anything in your defense. However, you can try to work the wrong issue date angle, and see where it takes you.

I'm going to court on thursday to contest a no seatbelt ticket, on grounds that the seatbelt laws are unconstitutional. The cop didn't seem to agree that people have freedom in this country, and practically denied that the 4th, 9th and 14th amendments have any power.

Good luck with yours, but I'm just not sure what to say that can help this far after. If you can get the speedo fixed, you can use that in your defense, saying that it was bouncing when you got pulled over, but now you have corrected the issue. Sadly, alot of older cars will have inaccurate speedos, just because stuff will wear out, and parts are harder to find to replace the damaged stuff. What kind of car is it?

4. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    With the speedo jumping around and malfuntioning, you should have a a case against that. I had a friend who's speedo was jumping around and was caught going 45 in a 35, and he just got the "Don't do it again" speech with a $20 fine... :eek:

5. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    yah, it all depends on the judge...

to quote a good friend: "If you don't break the law, you can't be caught. "

who doesn't wear the seatbelt? you really should. it's been proven to save lives.

6. daniel_g

daniel_g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If this is true, you can claim you were not aware you were driving over limit. However, you will need to prove that the speedometer is busted. Your word is not enough, a certified mechanic should be able to check it and sign paperwork that backs up your claim.

Note this doesn't prevent the judge from finding you guilty, but judge might drop charges provided you agree to fix your speedometer ASAP.

PS. I think it would have been easier just to pay the ticket online, don't you have to pay court costs if you decide to fight it?
    Also, you won't lose the license over a speeding ticket, or perhaps there is something else we are not aware of :confused:

7. saintalfonzo

saintalfonzo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The fact that your speedometer isn't functioning properly could actually draw another ticket if it was caught by an officer. I have heard of tickets being thrown out for being dated incorrectly before, but municipalities are hungrier than ever for any money they can get. If it's your first ticket it should be reduced at any rate... hopefully.

8. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    He could claim he didn't know it was malfunctioning (claim it was offset, which could happen if transmission work was done, and the original transmission, with the original speedo gear was not put back in...), then you had it fixed later.

That's honestly the best bet.

Everybody has broken a law at some point in time in their life. I hate that quote.

What I also hate, is people telling me how to go about my life. I don't care that seat belts "can" save my life... Seatbelts also make you feel more secure, and less aware of your surroundings.

Fact is, only 38% of traffic deaths could have been prevented with a seatbelt, and the chances of being killed in an accident are already slim as it is. I would rather be comfortable for a million miles, over having a 38% better survival rate in an accident, but be uncomfortable for those miles.

Honestly, the only thing that would make me consider that extra 38% chance (in an accident mind you, not overall) of surviving, would be having dependents (kids, wife). But for now, screw it, if I die, not many people, including me, would care.

9. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    Well us here on NBR would certainly care... :)

10. Thibault

Thibault Banned

Reputations:
    You have some issues...

They make me feel secure and less aware of my surroundings? What? I don't feel that wearing my seatbelt lowers my chances of getting in an accident. So it doesn't change the amount of attention I pay to my surroundings. What kind of argument is this?

ONLY 38%? That's a lot of deaths that could have easily been prevented...
    And that's 38% of deaths that could have been prevented? So that percentage doesn't count all the people who survived because of their seatbelts? (Note that they also prevent other injuries during accidents). You are absolutely insane if you think that 38% of deaths could have been prevented by the use of seatbelts is an insignificant number. By simply putting on a seatbelt (one of the easiest things to do), you're increasing your chances of surviving during an accident by 38%? That's very significant for the amount of work you have to do to put on a seatbelt.
    Uncomfortable? You actually find them uncomfortable? I can't even say I notice it when I wear it.

No offense, but I really don't care if you decide to wear your seatbelt or not just stop with the ridiculous excuses you have as to why you don't wear them.
    And keep us updated as to how the court reacts to your great arguments as to why you refuse to wear one. I'm interested to know the outcome.

Edit: And also note that if you're not alone in the car, you're a danger to everyone else in the vehicle during an accident. Since you become a projectile during an accident you can easily injure or even kill someone. I don't know how much you weigh, but if you're not restrained during an accident then you become a pretty big projectile. So you're not only being stupid and unnecessarily putting your own life at risk by not wearing a seatbelt but you're also putting everyone else in the car at risk. Just consider that too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.