Considering MALIBAL Nine X7200

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Asmerv, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asmerv

Asmerv Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey NBR,

My old laptop is about to go, and I've salvaged as much as I could. Now it's time to get a new one.

I'm an international student in the US, and I move a lot. I usually live in four different places every year. That's why I was looking into desknotes.

I love gaming, and as my junior year of engineering kicks in with research, I'll start using some CAD programs.

The best desknote I could find was MALIBAL Nine X7200, with a 6990 CF setup. It comes to around $2700. The only changes I made were upgrading to 2x6990, IC Diamond thermal, and upping the warranty to 2 years parts.

Is this a good configuration? More importantly, is the X7200 a smart purchase? What else should I look into?

Admittedly, this laptop is out of my price range by around a $300. I have a strict budget in between my supplies, books, living and my job. I looked at G4TV's review and they ended with an offer of $200 off, but I don't think it's available anymore? Do you think it is at all possible to get a discount of $300 off of this lovely laptop? I also heard of discounts for NBR users who call..

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Edit: I did read a guy's review here of X7200 and he was very satisfied with it, but lack of Sandy Bridge was a concern to him. Also, there was talk about a refresh coming. Any info? Thanks again.

2. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Look at the Alienware M18x. The X7200 crams desktop CPUs in a mobile chassis, and aside from hexacores, SandyBridge mobile CPUs are just about as powerful. It gets significantly less battery life and can even require dual-powerbricks in some scenarios.

3. Asmerv

Asmerv Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip. I just customized and Alienware to take a look. While you have a point about battery life, that is something I don't really care about. When I configure an Alienware M18x, I get 4GB ram vs. 6,i7 2630QM vs i7-960 dekstop and 320GB vs 500GB HDD for the same price. It also looks a lot less desirable. I can't see the wisdom in going for a M18x over X7200.

4. _Cheesy_

_Cheesy_ Notebook Hoarder

Reputations:
    Because there isn't any other than the Alienware look cooler and you get 360/PS3 HDMI input.

5. alexUW

alexUW Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with Edit, especially if your a student.
    Alienware is owned by Dell, which offers On-Site repairs in the event of something going wrong with your laptop. (On-Site means repairer comes to you).
    This means less down time, which is important if your also using your laptop for school work.

The m18x is the only comparable to the x7200.

Good luck

6. Vedya

Vedya There Is No Substitute...

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.