Considering a Sager laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by yung_dt, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yung_dt

yung_dt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am looking into getting a desktop replacement for college. I looked at Sager's NP9170, really impressed with the price/specs they have.
    But before I buy, I wanted to know a few things about Sager (and the 9170).

First, I want solid performance for gaming, but I also want the laptop to be silent when it's not running games, i.e. word processing, web browsing, etc. How loud are the fans for Sager laptops at idle? I don't want the fans to distract me when I'm writing papers late at night.

Secondly, reliability is as important as the specs. Can anyone share their Sager stories regarding how long they run before showing problems? I've heard good things about Sager, but wanted to know a few real examples.

Lastly, I also looked at Malibal but then after viewing NBR I found out their customer service is not satisfying. How is helpful is Sager's customer service? I don't want to waste time and $$$ when a laptop breaks.

The specs I'm considering are as follows:
    NP9170 ($2189 w/o discount as of writing)
    17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface
    i7-3630QM
    GTX 680M
    16GB DDR3 RAM (4x4)
    IC Diamond
    120GB Intel 520 Series SSD
    750GB 7200rpm HDD
    Blu-ray Burner
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. failwheeldrive

failwheeldrive Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your best option is to order through a reseller like Xoticpc, LPC Digital, or Mythlogic. Sager's customer service isn't the best, so you'll be better off from one of those guys. That looks like a great setup, but I wanted to let you know that I picked up my similarly-equipped Alienware M17x (with a better cpu though) for $2.3k after taxes. If you like the styling, AW has Sager beat in terms of cooling, build quality, sound, resale value, and warranty (Dell sends a tech to fix any issues you run into the next business day, while you have to wait weeks to get your Sager back from a RMA.) You get a large discount by calling in and negotiating with a representative, just don't order the ram or hdd hard drives from AW, upgrade them yourself to save some cash.

Good luck!

3. yung_dt

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I'm planning on getting my laptop through xoticpc.

I don't want to get Alienware not because of high price, but the environment I will be using this in. I want this to be a desktop replacement, appropriate for places including work, school, etc.

Can other people give me more insight into Sager's fan noise, cooling, build quality?

4. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the np9170 which i bought direct from sager (see my signature for specs)

If I could do it again, I would only change 2 things:

1) get the dead pixel guaranty. I have one 'stuck' pixel, and since it isnt more than 5 and I didnt get the guaranty, I am stuck. Not a happy experience when you are shelling out that much cash.
    2) I'd buy from a reseller, not through Sager. It isnt that I have experienced anything bad with Sager directly, but having seen the level of customer service and interaction on these forums, I would choose a reseller, most likely Xotic.

I've had my rig for almost a month now.

Build quality - very plain appearance. No squeaks, rattles, or broken pieces so far. It feels solid in the right places. I tend to press very, VERY hard on keys/palm rest while gaming, and i havent' experienced any flex.

The bottom part of the bezel for the LCD is a bit loose, but I believe this is common.

I have a slight misalignment between one of the heatsinks and fan. Nothing major, just off by about a mm or two, which I intend to fix via the foil mod.

Cooling - i use a coolermaster U3 cooling pad, but even without it i have yet to see CPU or GPU rise above 73C, even after gaming for hours.

Fan Noise - I have been meaning to use a decibel meter to get an accurate reading, but I would rate it as average. It is not the most silent, nor is it particularly loud to my ears. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else.

5. yung_dt

Reputations:
    Ajfountains, thanks for the detailed reply and recommendation. I guess I had underestimated the possibility of stuck/dead pixels.

I also want to ask about sound quality; looking around NBR, I read many posts that said the Onkyo speakers on the NP9170 are terrible.
    I'm not an audiophile, but I would like to have decent sound quality as I don't plan on getting high-end headphones. How are the speakers to you? All I'll be doing is listening to audio from music, media, or games.

Again thanks for the great help.

6. Ultra-Insane

Ultra-Insane Under Medicated

Reputations:
    Malibal is selling Sagers, Just to be clear, they boutique. All service in North America will be done by Sager. Thy are Clevo's. Only want to make clear.

All the other guys said, reseller like Xotic (my guys) or others is best. Sager mixes OEM and reseller. They just do not do so great. The resellers are only set up to offer the service. They do it better than Sager. And the cost is the same or less than Sager. Like I said I would send you to Xotic they are great but there are others that are every bit as commited and good.

Clevo speakers have a rep for sucking. Any serious gamer uses headsets anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.